free website stats program Catalytic Converter - I have to make a decision | Harley Davidson Forums

Catalytic Converter - I have to make a decision

KenBratt

I have a 2012 Ultra Limited (FLHTK). I love the bike but it does run hot. I ride in either NH or AZ and when in AZ it can get really hot. Was at the Harley dealer this week and one of the mechanics will cut the cat out of the pipe and re-weld it as it if was new. They tell me I do not have to do anything else - I can run stock air filter and pipes and not worry about reprogramming - the bike will run cooler and with a little more power and a little better mileage. Cost = $250.

Am I getting the straight skinny on this? The stock system will be fine without the cat? Anyone had problems from removing the cat? I need to decide in the next week.

Thanks to anyone who can comment.

Am I getting the straight skinny on this? The stock system will be fine without the cat? Anyone had problems from removing the cat? I need to decide in the next week.

Removing a cat does not require re-programming. The reason is because cat effiency is not checked by the ECM like it is on a cage. Removing the cat does not enrich the A/F ratio. You still will be left with a lean, narrow band closed loop system. You will still have the same A/F ratio as before and it will still run lean. But at least the cat part (and it's heat) is out of the way because you can't enrich the air/fuel ratio while a cat is still installed.

I am amazed that a tech at a dealership would cut out a cat and offer the service to people they really don't know. If the wrong person hears about it and wants to be hard, both the tech and the dealership can have major problems on their hands.
I might want to stay away from it and just find a "friend of a friend" who owns a tig welder and can do the same thing for you. I'm sure it won't cost you $250 either.

You might want to check out American Custom who offers same service but in two choices. They'll provide you with an already removed cat for the same pipes on your bike at cost of $300, or accept yours as trade-in and give you back $100.

My choice is to keep yours as backup and buy theirs....

Removing a cat does not require re-programming. The reason is because cat effiency is not checked by the ECM like it is on a cage. Removing the cat does not enrich the A/F ratio. You still will be left with a lean, narrow band closed loop system. You will still have the same A/F ratio as before and it will still run lean. But at least the cat part (and it's heat) is out of the way because you can't enrich the air/fuel ratio while a cat is still installed.

I am amazed that a tech at a dealership would cut out a cat and offer the service to people they really don't know. If the wrong person hears about it and wants to be hard, both the tech and the dealership can have major problems on their hands.
I might want to stay away from it and just find a "friend of a friend" who owns a tig welder and can do the same thing for you. I'm sure it won't cost you $250 either.

Is there a problem removing the cat that they shouldn't do it? NH doesn't require it in the bike. This is really all new to me...first Harley and I really am mechanically retarded. Thanks for the info.

Both Hoop and Jim are correct and their advice sound...HD and tech could get dealership in trouble doing that...and removing the cat(s) in itself can remove a lot of local heat, but the A/F and lean running will remain. Best to do both mods (cats and fueling) for best results, and do save the OEM pipe assy intact so you can put them back on when time to register and smog the bike...big brother is coming and watching over all of us.:small3d002:

My suggestion( what I did) is cut the cat out yourself and pay the guy down at Midas to weld you back together. $25 in my case. Then get a Vied from Nightrider for about $110 and you'll be good to go...

Hard thing to choke down, but ya might as well break down and buy an exhaust set up for your ride. Some where down the road you will do it anyhow. Get what ya really want or can't live without. You will be happy that you did.

Get rid of the cat.Do a search and you'll get all your questions answered and more.I just happen to have a decatted 2-1-2 headpipe.PM me if interested.:bigsmiley12:

Back