free website stats program Carburetor gasket. | Harley Davidson Forums

Carburetor gasket.

Would a missing gasket between the air cleaner housing and the carburetor cause a lean condition? I'm getting a pop at the carburetor sometimes. My gasket is sitting on top of my tool box. I'm sure it's not doing me any good there. I'll put it back on the bike soon. Just wondering if that could cause a problem.

It is unfiltered air. So getting it back in place is a priority.
But in front of anything that controls air fuel mixture, shouldn't make it lean.
It could make the popping louder because of the gap, do to the air cleaner assembly being able to muffle the sound.

10-4 on what joel said. Think of it as running w/o an air cleaner, just not near as drastic.
tourbox

Actually joel if your sucking more air into the engine you have the potential of leaning it out more.
Case in point, a free breathing or less restricted air cleaner/filter lets more air into the mix. If your not adding more fuel to compensate the added air has the potential to lean it out.

If the gasket was there from the factory there is a reason for it however I don't think it would make that much difference to the air flow through the carb
If it were mine I would refit the gasket and see if it makes a difference

Brian

Ok, I put the gasket on and noticed that the hose that goes between the carb and voes was in terrible shape. It was cracked and fit loosely. I replaced that too. Unfortunately I have too much to do tonight so I can't go for a ride. If these 2 things are not the cure, they needed to be done anyways.

The vacuum hose to the voes would cause running issues if it was leaking air but that would be at higher revs

Brian

Back