free website stats program Carburated 120r | Harley Davidson Forums

Carburated 120r

lesr389

Hi, a few months ago i bought a softail deluxe with the 120r. Come to find out it had been converted from efi to carburated. This bike hates the cold and takes a little while to start. I think if i convert it back to a throttle body like it should be my problems will be solved. What do you guys think, and if i do swap it back does anyone know about how much it will cost

That would depend on how badly the previous owner gutted it. Replacement parts are readily available but if the wiring has been removed/cut out it could become a expensive fix.

I do not know what carb is fitted to your bike but for a large engine like that it should have an accelerator pump
If the fuel tap is not vacuum operated when you turn on the fuel tap fuel will fill the float bowl
If the float bowl is full when you snap the throttle open the accelerator pump will squirt some net fuel down the throat of the carb
For cold starting turn on the fuel tap pull out the choke knob snap the throttle open 3 or 4 times turn power on and press the start button
With the extra fuel in the carb throat the bike should start fairly easily after one or two rotations of the engine if it fails to start snap the throttle open a further 3 or 4 times and try again
Cold starting of a carburated bike takes a wee bit of getting to know your own bike but this technique works on my 3 bikes

Brian

I have an s&s carb its either an e or g. When harley dyno'ed my bike they said the pump was dumping excess fuel into the carb. They said they fixed it but it still happens sometimes and my carb will smoke. What are you referring to as the fuel tap?

Dan thats a great breakdown of the engine is there something else where i can see wireing harnesses or thing i would need if i were to go back to a throttle body one day?

I googled fuel tap. What are the differences in the petcock a carb bike would have and one that an efi bike would have?

Back