free website stats program carb | Harley Davidson Forums

carb

jel123

need answer when the bike is cold and goes down the rode it seems to be running out of gas but it will still idle we drive about 6 miles and it does it about 4 times we stop and have a drink come out and it runs fine could it be loosing vacuum on the harley cv carb we checked gas tank,line,filter,float bowl tis all clean and it only does it when cold and first run but it does it every time its a 1997 dyna stock carb please a little help,jel

need answer when the bike is cold and goes down the rode it seems to be running out of gas but it will still idle we drive about 6 miles and it does it about 4 times we stop and have a drink come out and it runs fine could it be loosing vacuum on the harley cv carb we checked gas tank,line,filter,float bowl tis all clean and it only does it when cold and first run but it does it every time its a 1997 dyna stock carb please a little help,jel

Quick questions:
  • has it been doing this all along, or is this recent?
  • any mods made to the bike right before problem began?
  • did this start after filling up with gas?
  • what is in the carb (jets)?

Replace the hose from the VOES to the carb. Make sure this is a tight fit at both ends. Add a can of "dry gas" or "sea foam" to the gas tank. Drain the float bowl into a glass jar. Any thing at the bottom of the jar? Switch the tank valve to the "reserve" position. Same problem?

TQ

just got the bike we didn,t do any mods dodn,t know what jets checked bowl its clean and once we ride it and then restart no problem seems to be only when cold and first started,jel

Remember that when you first start any engine, it needs more fuel to keep it running than when it's warmed up. I would suspect either an intake leak or a blocked screen in the petcock of the tank.

Last edited:
just got the bike we didn,t do any mods dodn,t know what jets checked bowl its clean and once we ride it and then restart no problem seems to be only when cold and first started,jel

When I start my EVO ('91 Dyna), I pull out the Enricher knob all the way and then start the engine. Once running, I slowly push in the knob while increasing the throttle until the knob is in all the way, and I have the engine running about 1,200 rpm. Use the throttle jam to hold it there while the engine warms up. I consider "warm" to be when the valve covers are warm to the touch, but not too hot to touch (usually 3-5 min. depending on air temps).

I agree with what Glider points out above. Check the self help area for how to check for intake leaks. If you switch to the "reserve" position on the tank valve and DO NOT have a problem, I would suspect that the in-tank screen is clogged up with stuff.

Finding An Intake Leak - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

checked the screen and it does it at about 65 it drops off just like its running out of gas you pull over let ti idle and away you go till it does it again

checked the screen and it does it at about 65 it drops off just like its running out of gas you pull over let ti idle and away you go till it does it again

How did you check your screen?

TQ

You have a fuel delivery problem, did you just look at the screen or blow it out opposite to the flow of fuel?

Clean out the tank?

Have you checked for water in the fuel by letting the contents of the float bowl settle in a glass?

Back