free website stats program Carb Verses EFI what do ya'll think? | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb Verses EFI what do ya'll think?

buckmc

Hello to all Harley addicts,I have a 01 FLHT.The dealership has been trying to get me off of it for 5 years now.I have alot in her,1550 kit,with 204 cams,and a 6 speed gear set.The heads are ported,and polished,with Samson true duels,went to a 30 tooth tyranny sprocket,runs like a bat on fire.The dealership offered me 6500.00 with 66,588 miles on it.On the new 2010 ultra they gave me a price of 20,566,which wasn't bad.I worked on the carb on this bike for 3 months,to get it to run,and get good mpg.I just can't seem to let her go,and fuel injection,with having to adjust your ECM to do any mods is another thing:( I'm in the group of people that has a personal connection to anything that has a motor on it.I know that some of you are like that too,so what do ya'll think about the two.

If it was me trying to make that decision i would stay with what i know
But then i prefer older bikes

Brian

I bought a new 05 FLTRI in 05, but I just could not sell my 94 FLSTC. Like you I had invested more time than $$ in the ST. Alot of miles together, it never let me down. With 126,000 miles I did the reman program and it is still a joy to ride. I understand the attachment even if it's just an accumulation of parts, the softail was my first Harley and after I'm gone someone else can enjoy it, but till than------!

Advertise your current bike for sale at a price that is good for you (I don't think $6,500 is good). If it sells, buy the new one. If not, it seems like you will be happy with it for a while longer. Once I know a bike, I hate to part with it.

Injection is nice but carbs were fun and easy to change less problems I E no pumps to fail and relays and such

I am the first to admit I'm an analog guy living in the digital world.

Although I am comfortable around modern fuel injection (and when set up properly it works very nicely...) I do miss the simplicity of good old carburetors.

This is one of the reasons I still love modern Harleys though.

Underneath all those transistors, diodes, computer chips and 18 miles of carefully concealed wiring, the basic nuts and bolts are still the same and haven't changed much in the past 50 years.

Once the wiring is un-plugged, its still a mechanically simple machine with a single pin crank, air cooled cylinders in a 45 degree V configuration, pushrods and a couple of two valve cylinder heads.

Pure mechanical heaven...

That being said, I can't say that I will ever miss the demise of the breaker point ignition system. :D

Last edited:
That question is a bit of a head scratcher. I guess, all in all, the FI is way, way ahead of old fashioned carbs. That might be the reason every car, truck and motorcycle manufacturer adopted FI quite a while back. That and the EPA too. FI just works better and with generally fewer problems. Ya, put me in the camp of liking FI over Carbs.

Back