free website stats program Carb problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb problems

retox

I hope i am posting in the correct area, if not let me know. I will give you a rundown of the last month.

I got the bike after it sat for 7 years.
It's a 93 sportster 1200
SE AF
Santee drag pipes
Possible Dyna Jet not sure what jet sizes
professionally rebuilt carb
new battery
oil change
new autolite 4164 plugs
carb set at 2 1/2 turn out
new intake seals and checked for leaks.

I have ridden it for 140 miles, i am using 91 octane with seafoam.

The bike runs ruff, backfire out the exhaust, some carb coughing, and slow RPM drop from a rev. Seems to have good power and likes 3000 rpm, but 2500 rpm it will surge. Hard to go slow in first gear. Idle will set at 900 and then go to 1100 rpms. No apparent reason.

I have a picture of my plugs but don't know how to attache it.

I am afraid to lean it out any more because i was told it could cause damage.

Not sure if there is a timing issue, but plan to purchase a timing light.

Am I expecting to much for a bike that sat for such a long time and just need to ride it, or should i continue looking for a problem?

Thank for any help you can give me.

Attachments

• DSCN1371.jpeg
    DSCN1371.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 20
You say the carb was rebuilt but you did not say when. Your plugs look pretty good. Do you know how the bike was running when it was put up? Is this an OEM CV carb or aftermarket?

It's an OEM carb and it was rebuilt 2 weeks ago... It's is my understanding the bike was running fine when it was put up. The owner didn't prep it prior to not riding it. He had sudden health problems and just let it sit.

Also, i am using autolite 4164 plugs gaped at .038.
and the oil was 181 degrees after a 20 minute ride.
I used a digital cooking thermometer, use it when i fry turkeys.

Unfortunately, if bike sat long-term w/o proper storage prep, the carb's probably gummed and fuel lines are also in need of cleaning. I'd start w/carb kit (tear-down, clean, re-build).

Im not familiar with this year Sporty but sounds like a vacuum leak. The way you describe the idle changing for no reason. When it pops does it come form the exhaust or out of the carb?

Even thought the carb was recently rebuilt you could still have problems with the vacuum petcock or junk in the tank. If there is a fuel filter between the petcock and the carb this too can be obstructed. There is also a screen filter on the petcock stem inside the tank. I would remove the tank and clean it out, and remove the petcock and clean the screen. I would also change out all the hoses including the vacuum line from the carb to the advance. If it is the original petcock the rubber diaphragm may be shot too.

Thanks for the response, i failed to mention the tank is new, the fuel lines are new, the vacuum line is new, and the petcock is new. I did have the original tank on the bike after the carb was rebuilt and i am concerned some junk got through. How can i clean the carb without disassembling it?

There are 4 screws on the bottom of the carb that will give you access to the float bowl, but if you have some debris in the jets you will have to remove the carb from the intake. If you don't have a manual now would be a good time to purchase one. The manual will be your best tool for any maint.

Back