free website stats program Carb problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb problem

jude

Contributor
Hi,help needed please,i am having problems trying to get a evo94 heritage to run properly,first off iam running a s&s e type carb,i had the bike stripped completly for refurbish of frame and general tidying,put bike back together and after a sort run ,about four miles bike started to splutter and black smoke from both pipes so pulled the plugs and they were heavly sooted ,looked up similar problem on forum and found a post on settig up an s&s card,took carb apart and gave a good clean ,fitted new plugs ,fully wound in acc pump ,set air mix screw ,set idle screw as described in post,went for drive at low throttle to see what the plugs would look like but after only about 1000yards bike staled ,then hard to start(like no petrol) ,got started but only ran for few secounds and stalled again ,i did notice if i pulled out the choke when the bike was starting to stall it would surge forward for a couple of seconds then splutter again,i checked that the carb is getting petrol and it is but it feels like its not ,i pulled the plugs when i got home and there was no black soot on plugs or no black smoke from pipes this time the plugs where clean and dry ,any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I would say clean out the tank and put some fresh fuel in it. You may want to clean the float bowl and needle in the carb again too. Sounds like water or sediment in the fuel.

I had a similar problem with my S&S carb. Where the elephant ears mount to the engine, there are washers between the engine and the mounting plate.
Make sure there are no gaps after inserting the washers, otherwise you will distort the frame holding the enricher lever and cause the enricher valve in the carb to bind. Thats was my problem. I had to go to a hardware store and buy some stainless washers and sand them down to the correct thickness.
I had other issues with that carb, but after taking it apart 3-4 times the aluminum threads got stripped out of three holes and I bought a new S&S carb. $1000 OUCH.

Only use the enricher lever while starting the engines. After 2-3 minutes it should run smother., then push the lever back to normal.

Back