free website stats program Can't get to bolt to remove rear floorboard | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't get to bolt to remove rear floorboard

broncostarr

2003 Road King Classic - I can get an allen wrench in the head of the left rear passenger floorboard bolt, but it has NO clearance between the derby and the left side exhaust pipe. There is less than a half inch in either direction, so it won't go far enough to break it lose. Any ideas?

I use an allen wrench made for a 3/8'' drive and a 6'' extension to clear the floorboard.

I got a 3/8" drive long allen set with ball ends that works great.

I hope I'm reading/understanding the problem correctly. If you can get the long end of the Allen wrench inserted, use the box end of another wrench on the short end of the Allen. You will see how it works to give you leverage on the short end. Clear as mud?

After you figure out the combination of tools needed you may need to tap extension to loosen bolt from Loctite.

If you think that the bolt has a bit of Loctite on it, take your heat gun and heat up the bolt just a bit to soften up the Loctite. Will still be tight but a little easier to loosen.

When you do get that bolt out, toss it, run a bottom tap in the hole, spray some brake clean in, blow it dry. Replace the bolt with a grade 5 or 8 with anti sieze. Before any one gets TOO excited about the bolt falling out, it wont. I have used this on ALL my baggers with good results:s

Back