free website stats program Cant get neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

Cant get neutral

83FLHT

Hi all this problem has been plagueing me for a long time,The bike is a 1983 FLHT shovel with a 5 speed,it wont go from 1st to neutral when its running if I turn it off it goes right in,I have adjusted the clutch 100 times right by the book any ideas what to look for Thanks Bill

Hi all this problem has been plagueing me for a long time,The bike is a 1983 FLHT shovel with a 5 speed,it wont go from 1st to neutral when its running if I turn it off it goes right in,I have adjusted the clutch 100 times right by the book any ideas what to look for Thanks Bill

Have made ALL the neccassary adjustments concerning the clutch?
what kind / weight of tranny fluid you running?

If it goes into neutral ok when the engine is not running, then the problem is that the clutch is dragging (not fully disengaging). It is not bent shift forks or worn out bearings.

FIRST OFF?
IS THE CLUTCH HANDLE THE ORIGINAL,NOT BENT, AND DOES NOT HAVE LEATHER OR ??? ADDED STUFF ON IT?

any fancy grip or leather handle cover shortens the thorough and ALL IS NEEDED !

YOU WANT THE FULLEST PULL POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE FOUND ON MY OLDER BIKES,,,,, THAT THE CLUTCH CABLE AND ADJUSTMENT ON IT NEEDED TO BE A LITTLE TIGHTER THAN ONE WOULD THINK (book showed)..... THERE IS A LOT OF SLACK IN THE OLDER WELL-USED PARTS....

******SHOWING NO (0) CLEARANCE AT THE HANDLE-CABLE BUT STILL NOT PRESSURING AGAINST CLUTCH THROW-OUT-BEARING....

******YOU CAN TRY THIS TIGHTER ADJUSTMENT AND IF IT WORKS THAT SHOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM.... I WOULD BET IT DOES.....

please try this and post results

signed....BUBBIE

if i encounter that problem on any bike i ride the first thing id do was to try raising the revs a bit before trying to neutral if still does not go i would slowly release the clutch till it just starts to bite then try to shift to neutral that usually gets them

Brian

Like Bubbie, I adjust the clutch with very little freeplay...just make sure the zero lash is when the bar is turned to the left lock, when turned to the right lock there will be the just a bit of freeplay so you DO have the full lever stroke for actuating the clutch.

Brian is also right on regarding finding neutral when deaccellerating (trailing throttle and wheel loading) in the last 2 seconds before stopped. It works as the stress on the associated gear teeth is minimal and without the clutch in, only the fluid viscosity and oil surface tension is keeping clutch friction surfaces dragging a bit on their steel plates a bit.

Back