free website stats program Canadian warranty | Harley Davidson Forums

Canadian warranty

09 deluxe

I came down to the U.S. to buy my 09 Deluxe. In Canada, the bike, with the options mine had lists for 22,000 new. I bought mine with 1900 miles on it for 13,200.( or about 14,000 canadian). I had a big smile on my face, saving 8,000 plus the guy who had the bike before me put bags and a windshield on it. My good luck.

I checked before I bought the bike, to make sure the warranty was good on both sides of the border, and was told it was.

What I wasn't told is that Harley Davidson Canada requires you to spend about 1000 dollars on a metric speedometer and to have the bike "inspected" in order for the warranty to be valid. If you have not done this, you have no warranty!!!

To me this is just a money grab by HD Canada, and I'm trying to find out if the warranty is good if I take the bike back to the U.S. for service.

Can not comment on that for sure but I think that your dealer is yanking your chain. Steve07 has an American bike and I don't believe that he has had any troubles getting warranty with his mph speedo. My bike also is US but I have no warranty and my nephews bike is US. We took his bike to a Canadian dealer for a recall item and no problems
Kemo

Are you Sure this is a function of HD Canada and not just a Canadian law? It is OK to drive other vehicles with an ONLY MPH speedo?

Check another HD dealership and see if what they say match.

I don't believe that he has had any troubles getting warranty with his mph speedo. My bike also is US but I have no warranty and my nephews bike is US. We took his bike to a Canadian dealer for a recall item and no problems
Kemo

I bet it is a question of Canadian law and has nothing to do with HD. I am not asking if I can "get away" with driving a vehicle in Canada that has a MPH dial Speedo only. I want to know if it is Legal.

I would bet it is Not Legal in Canada to drive a registered vehicle that is equipped with a MPH ONLY speedo.

If the vehicle is a Recreational Vehicle such as motor home or motorcyle etc it is exempt from the mph to the kph. If the vehicle is a passanger vehicle it requires the kph speedo, stupid but that is what I was told by the DOT when I importered my bike
Kemo

Well then if Scooters are exempt then it does sound like a money grabber to me.

I would go down to DOT and get the rule book and show HD they are wrong.
It has to be in print.

I am amazed they have exemptions. Guy goes off the road and wrecks & driver claims "he had no idea how fast he was going because he did not know what the conversion was". I can see that happening.

I still can not convert those numbers in my head on the fly.

The dealer is making you question the savings of buying down south. Call HD as Glider has suggested or call another dealer. (Easy for me to say, depending on where you live in Canada, another dealer might not be all that close.) Nothing to lose with a quick call.

Back