free website stats program Can the dealership recover missing pin without fob? | Harley Davidson Forums

Can the dealership recover missing pin without fob?

blackcool

Dear forumers,
Because I could not edit the posted message below is additional revision:

I took the bike to the dealer and they want me to replace whole tssm for appx 600$. The reason is because I don't have pin when asked.

From the google I found that every HD has a pin. I don't know what is the pin, and the original owner also not knowing what is the pin or its purpose on HD, really dumb :(. I just learn the pin after having this incident.

Guys, my question is:
Is it really that the dealer cannot recover my pin or crank the engine without fob/pin?. I have showed them proof of ownership, police paper, and more over this bike has service record only with this dealer (only single dealer nationwide for selling and servicing HD in my country, no any other place to go). So they know my bike.

Thankyou for helping me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to published documentation, if you don't have at least 1 good fob, you can't get into the program to do anything.

$600 sounds extreme to me. One hour labor and the price of a new TSSM can't be six hundred dollars. Ask them to break down the charges.

If you have a lot of free time on your hands, you could try every possible combination of the pin until you get it. My bike has a 5 number pin, so that would be 99,999 combinations, but "0" is not allowed so that greatly reduces the number of attempts. I don't know if you get locked out if you enter the wrong pin after several tries, but if not, it might just work. You better remember the right pin if you do get lucky and hit it though. You probably don't want to go through all that again. I'd give it a try before spending $600.

If the pin has never been changed since new I would try the last 5 digits of the vin#.Also quite a few dealers set them to 12345 and 11111

If the pin has never been changed since new I would try the last 5 digits of the vin#.Also quite a few dealers set them to 12345 and 11111

This my sound like a stupid question but I never new about the pin, I have 2 fob's that work fine. I guess my question is how do I go about finding out what my pin # is? or don't I need to worry about it if I have working fob's.

This my sound like a stupid question but I never new about the pin, I have 2 fob's that work fine. I guess my question is how do I go about finding out what my pin # is? or don't I need to worry about it if I have working fob's.

Jeff; Current PIN number can be viewed by this procedure. With a FOB present; on/off, on/off, on, then Left turn 3 times, then Right turn 1 time.
PIN will be displayed in odometer. On jiffy stand or straight up may be a factor, I can't remember. If one doesn't work, try the other.
DRAT; I just remembered you have an '05 (button fob?), it may be different.

Last edited:

Steve is right my dealership set it at 22222! Do you know who the dealer was?
WAP.gif

Couldn't hurt to have a pin even if you have working fobs. You don't even need to know what your current pin is. Just set up a new one and write it down somewhere. A working fob must be present to reset the pin, which won't help the original posters problem. But my owners manual says, "replacement fobs can be purchased from a dealership, but can only be assigned to the motorcycle by a trained Harley technician". So I don't see why his dealer is saying they can't do it.

Jeff; Current PIN number can be viewed by this procedure. With a FOB present; on/off, on/off, on, then Left turn 3 times, then Right turn 1 time.
PIN will be displayed in odometer. On jiffy stand or straight up may be a factor, I can't remember. If one doesn't work, try the other.
DRAT; I just remembered you have an '05 (button fob?), it may be different.

Thanks Breeze I'll figure it out with my fob. Guess it shows that you can always learn new things about your scoot. I had now idea about the pin#.

Back