free website stats program Can someone give us some advice? | Harley Davidson Forums

Can someone give us some advice?

dynaman07

My girlfriend has a 2008 XL883 Standard and we have added the lo-pro shocks and the reach seat. When it comes to the handlebars is where her problem starts....she is about 5'3" and she has to lean forward a good bit to reach the bars....looking for a set of bars to help her sit straighter up to be more comfy when riding. We have a set of buckhorn looking bars and we think they would be more comfy for her but they are not the most good looking bars we have ever seen....looking for something that will work well and NOT spoil the classic look of her Sportster....if anyone has some pics and part numbers we would certainly appreciate any help.....wanting to get something hopefully this week so she can start riding as the weather is FINALLY starting to cooperate...lol....not concerned about changing cables ets....just hope to find something that works for her....the bars that came stock are almost a 'drag bar' looking set of handlebars..Thanks in advance for your ideas and help

Do you have a copy of the 2009 HD Parts and Accessories Book? It is free and your friendly HD dealer...it has plenty of good stuff...but in particular look at the sport or beach bars that pull back towards the rider with the wrists below shoulder level. My gal also likes beach cruiser bicycles over mountain bicycles for the very same reason, ease of control and comfort.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...ories/2009_GMA_Catalog/HD_GMA09_sportster.pdf

Also make sure the grips are not too fat as HD has 1 1/4" bars, use 1 3/8" rather than fatter 1 1/2" diameter grips, (metric motorcycles with 7/8" bars use 1" grips). Also look into the EZ Clutch $40 which goes under the derby cover, but makes the clutch about 30% less pull at the lever. Adjusting the hand and foot controls are some of the most important things for a new rider.

Last edited:
Thnks for the reply....yeah we have a new P&A catalog but its hard to look at that and picture whether it will feel right on the bike.....we went to the 3 closest HD dealers to us and none of them had very much in stock to choose from .....was hoping to try some by holding them near the risers and seeing firsthand how they felt and looked but kinda hard to do when the dealer only had 3 sets of bars in stock and they were mostly for the touring bikes and the center width was way wider than a sporty front end and since we live 90 miles from the dealers its kinda hard to order something in go get it,try it, then drive 90 miles back to return it if it dont/wont work,then pay a 20%restock fee on top of that...lol....thats why we were hoping that someone on here maybe had some pics as well as part numbers to at least get us started in the right direction....

I ride a 1200C (I'm 5'2') and had that same problem. I bought the LePera seat that pushes me 3" forward and 2 inches lower and that really solved my problem. Also put lower shocks & a 19' wheel on the front (it originally had a 21") to get me lower to the ground. I also bought the smallest grips I could find (although Harley doesn't make any grips that small any more). Inches and Centimeters make all the difference for sure!
Good luck "GIRL RIDER"!
Let me know what you end up with!:glasses

I live in Muncie IN. Its about an hour and a half from Cincinatti. If you wanted to drive up here I have two sets of bars I could possible work out a deal with you on. One set is the origonal 1986 "pull back" type bars that really put the grips in the riders hands easily!
The second set is like some crazy batman stuff. They remind me of some longhorn texas style stuff. They are 30inches long from end to end and have built in risers. They do angle back at the rider (like drag bars) but not as much as the old school 86 sportster bars do. Just let me know. Good luck

Thanks for the offer and all replies but I went to Cincinnati today and picked up a set of 883 Low bars and pullback risers and we are pretty sure thats gonna be the fix for her. Will keep you posted as soon as we get them installed......again thanks to all who replied

Back