free website stats program Can removing turn signals cause security system problems? | Harley Davidson Forums

Can removing turn signals cause security system problems?

JMS73

Turn ignition on, flip run switch(you can hear fuel pump) and when I hit start button, nothing.Nothing in speedo/clock window and engine light doesn't appear when trying to start anymore.I clipped the turn signals, capped & tucked them.Was wondering if this may have confused the security system into disabling my starter.The bike will start when running a test cable from battery to silenoid but shuts down right after???

Welcome to the forum JMS73, Had a friend that took his signals of his 07 Dyna and only problem he had was if he hit one of the turn signal buttons it would through a code. Have you checked all the fuses? Have you checked the bike for trouble codes? Might be a clue there. Having turn signals disconnected should not afect the security system.

This is a Dyna Street Bob 2007.Not able to access anything in the display window.Engine light normally comes on until fuel pump does it's job before you hit start button but that 's not happening anymore.Have lights, run switch working.

Just curious.
So since the bike is a 2007, can we say the warranty is up, you have no extended warranty and the cost of the repair is coming out of your pocket.

Yep, no more warranty.It's sitting in service dept.@dealership but no work order yet.Thinking of checking fuses & relays before signing it over.

Your bike is about the same age as mine.I've found it has started to do some strange stuff alarm wise as it's got older. There's not much wrong with your bike but you need to figure out how to make your alarm reset. The easiest way is to do it is pretend to steal it ie. deliberately set the alarm off. Let it go through it's complete cycle and you may need to do it several times. If that does'nt work try replacing the batteries in your key fobs and use both of them when you try and start it. Another thing Í've found is leaving the key switched on for a couple of hours after you've shut the engine off seems to reset the alarm and the ECU as well, though dont ask how I dicovered that one and you will have to jump start it. Turn the jump vehicle's headlights on to suck up any voltage spikes. They dont cope well with any voltage drop so make sure your battery is fully charged. I dunno if any of this will work for you but it's stuff I've done to mine to get it going when it wants to stuff around for no apparent reason.

Back