free website stats program can I use this oil in tranny | Harley Davidson Forums

can I use this oil in tranny

I own an 06 sportster 1200 c I can not locate spectro oil in my area
I am not happy using the syn 3 oil from harley . the local automotive stores sell mobil l syn, 20w 90 and 20w 140 with a Gl5 rating ca I use either
oil or not?

Any good quality major brand like HD Primary gear oil as long as it is rated between GL1 to GL5 petroleum/mineral based 85W Gear Oil should be just fine for your Sporty to ensure long gear/chain and especially clutch life (100% synthetic is too slippery). Syn3 is a blend and more expensive, and probably too thin...when petroleum based gear oil works better. Just do not overfill, one full quart may be an ounce or two too much, making shifting and finding neutral more difficult.

This is also because the tranny fluid goes through no extreme temperatures like the engine oil and has a primary chain and gears that sling the oil rather than the desired "stay in place where it is needed wetting the meshing gears". Puerto Rico is tough to find a Spectrol dealer, I feel your pain...try regular HD Formula Gear Oil certainly worth it if suppliers are limited as you say.

Last edited:
Back