free website stats program Can I install a 180mm tire on my Road King Anniversary? | Harley Davidson Forums

Can I install a 180mm tire on my Road King Anniversary?

red33m

I was just wondering..my 2003 Road King Classic has 130mm rear tire...could I install a 180mm tire like the 2010 bikes have?

There is a tire fitment chart in the self help section, it shows what tire you can run on which bike. I would not think that you would be able to go that much larger with your current frame and swingarm.

Thanks! As far as my concern goes thinner tire equals to more speed
while wider tire equals to better grip..is this true?
Are there any other advantages of having a wider tire or
Is it just the looks?
WAP.gif

A wider tyre will put a wee bit more rubber on the road so you will get a wee bit more grip but only when going in a straight line
But i have never had any of my harleys lose traction when accelerating and my widest is a 130
a softer tyre compound will also give more grip but wear quicker

Brian

One other thing about tires, going one size larger IF the additional 10mm (5mm on either side will not contact anything, as well as taller profile (may catch on the inner fender wire loom in the rear or front) is just one set of problems. The other is the actual tire with respect to the rim width will be pinched a bit more making the contact patch actually SMALLER especially at steeper lean angles than what the tire was originally designed. :s

So do follow the Self Help chart and measure carefully...the gains if any are to be made is better served with proper tire compound for desired application, then changing the actual size used. MOCO has tested their bikes with many different tires and compounds and has contracted with Dunlop for many years to get the best mix of mileage and performance for their models...we all WISH we had the R&D capability or the time to find the best combo...:D

One other thing about tires, going one size larger IF the additional 10mm (5mm on either side will not contact anything, as well as taller profile (may catch on the inner fender wire loom in the rear or front) is just one set of problems. The other is the actual tire with respect to the rim width will be pinched a bit more making the contact patch actually SMALLER especially at steeper lean angles than what the tire was originally designed. :s

So do follow the Self Help chart and measure carefully...the gains if any are to be made is better served with proper tire compound for desired application, then changing the actual size used. MOCO has tested their bikes with many different tires and compounds and has contracted with Dunlop for many years to get the best mix of mileage and performance for their models...we all WISH we had the R&D capability or the time to find the best combo...:D

NEWHD has good info here with the R and D who would have thought 10 years ago we would have run flat tires , the tire industry is ever changing IMO

Back