free website stats program Can ABS be added to a 2009 Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

Can ABS be added to a 2009 Road King

rick1062

Well I looked at a 2009 Road King Classic yesterday. I hoped it had ABS, but it did not. It did have Security and Cruise Control. So, can the ABS be added, and if so is it a crazy job and price?

Thanks for your replies.

With the wealth of experience on this board I'm sure someone knows how to install ABS on a bike, the only limiting factor being time, and money. From a practical standpoint ABS is a factory option only and not even the dealership can retrofit a bike with ABS. Best thing is to rely on your own ability to brake safely while looking for an ABS equipped replacement. Of course I could be mistaken. ;)
WAP.gif

It would be crazy expensive to retro fit ABS. Even wheel bearings would have to be changed. Best to wait and find a bike with ABS.

It's a factory installed item. Too much involved for a retro fit.
If it was able to be installed later, Harley would have the overpriced kit in the P&A book and it isn't there.

It would be crazy expensive to retro fit ABS. Even wheel bearings would have to be changed. Best to wait and find a bike with ABS.

The ONLY thing i see that is good about the ABS on Your bike and mine, IS IT Does have the Box built in place to hold it.. :lolrolling

That is where I have My TFI located loosely in a soft cloth..:D

I agree with the $$$$$$ and work..

I never cared for ABS, especially on a bike, WHEN i Want my wheel to stop spinning I Want It To STOP spinning.

signed....BUBBIE

Some like ABS but I don't care for it, I figure I drove for 60 years without it. All these safety items on cars and bikes have driven the price of vehicles way up, because some people don't know how to drive without them. They take for granted that ABS is going to stop them. They are too busy with their cell phones and MP3 player and gps. Drive your bike with attention to what is happening around you, the ABS won't stop you any quicker.
Ken

At this time H D does not offer a retro fit I doubt the after market would gear up for this it would not be cost affective IMO

In short NO. The expense would far out weigh trading in on a model with ABS.
If seriously interested in this King I would not let the fact that its a non ABS sway my decision to purchase.

Thanks for all of the replies. Great info.

It looks unanimous and it makes sense. So if we want a bike with ABS, we will need to keep looking and find one with factory installed ABS.

Thanks to all, again.

Back