free website stats program Cams for TC96 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cams for TC96

looking to do some small upgrades to my bike this winter, it's a 2008 crossbones, the only mods on it now are samson true dual, screamin eagle air cleaner and a thundermax computer, I'm looking for some low to mid range torque, I usualy cruise around 2500 and shift around 4000, just your average country road cruising, but would like to hit the throttle and go a little better, not really sure what cams would work for my riding. Thanks

I have a Street Glide and I'm running the S&S 583 EZ Start cams in mine and love them. I would imagine in a lighter bike they be crazy! :D

The S&S 583 should work out real nice in an other wise stock 96"er; 190+ cranking compression, so the EZ start feature is handy.

I checked them out, How is that easy start feature any problems with it, will my bike need any spring work!

Shouldn't need any spring work on mine they did however have to clearance the cases wich is no big deal and the EZ start feature works as advertised. If the case clearancing thing makes you nervous ( honestly I wouldn't worry about it) check out the 551 EZ starts.

We run S&S 583 EZ Start Cams in 2 of the 2008 Softails in our family collection.Stock motors with Air,Fuel and Exhaust mods.They go great and with no issues.-they work as advertised.Start up is easier for the battery and electrical system;not to mention the starter itself.
I reckon they work from about 2000 rpm or so and up.Dont know where they taper off because i almost never venture over 3000 revs.

No mechanical work was required and stock valve springs can still be used.They also come with better bearings to replace the stock H-D ones.You really ought to fit adjustable pushrods too for overall ease of installation.

I wouldnt fit gear drive cams to a standard 96' motor because of the potential problems that excess crankshaft run out can cause(tight and loose meshing of gears dependant upon aforesaid run out.Instead of being operated by a perfect base circle-a 'perfect' crank-the 96" 'pressed-up' crank could easily be elliptical.The chain drive EZ Starts are fine in these motors.

Possibly the only downside of these cams is they CAN make a little audible click on shut down(who cares) and you cant do a compression test if you need to.
These style of compression-release cams are used by Ducati in their latest and greatest release:the 'Panigale'.

looking to do some small upgrades to my bike this winter, it's a 2008 crossbones, the only mods on it now are samson true dual, screamin eagle air cleaner and a thundermax computer, I'm looking for some low to mid range torque, I usualy cruise around 2500 and shift around 4000, just your average country road cruising, but would like to hit the throttle and go a little better, not really sure what cams would work for my riding. Thanks

If you have the correct map and a good tune with The Tmax your bike should have a good low end torque with the stock cams????

Al

Back