free website stats program CAMS...Aftermarket, do Ireally need them? | Harley Davidson Forums

CAMS...Aftermarket, do Ireally need them?

franka

2007 Road King Classic, stock 96, stage 1, true Freedom Performance Fishtail duals, Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather air cleaner, HD Race Tuner. 49,000 miles,
What will change if I install aftermarket cams, do I really need them? I'm satisfied with the horsepower and torque I have now?

That really depends on what you want the bike to do. I had added the Andrews Perf 21 grind cams to my '03 Ultra Classic when I did the roller chain conversion because the original cams would not work with the new cam plate, and I wanted more lower end torque and to get rid of the spring loaded tensioners!

But since you say you're satisfied with the HP and torque and you already have the hydraulic tensioners, then I am not sure you really need to spend the time and effort on installing new cams just to do it! You may wish to replace the inner roller bearings up-grading from the cheap INA bearings to the Torringtons next time you take the nose cone off to inspect the chain tensioner shoes for wear. There is a BIG difference between those bearing as you can see below. The Torrington B-148 (on left) are the bearings for the 88ci TC engine. Your 96ci may take the B-168s. Check!!

Cheers,

TQ

Attachments

• Torrington vs INA.jpg
    Torrington vs INA.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 15
In '07 the OD of the cam end for the motor side changed to a larger size. The bearing is a different ID therefore. SE makes a torrington type bearing as well for about $20.00 a pair.
tourbox

+1 on what TQ said, if your happy with the performance then leave it alone. No sense throwing more money at it if you like how it runs.

I have a '07 Electra Glide, stage 1, tuner, true duals. I put Andrews 48's (designed for 96 in. Touring bikes) in. It was a nice weekend project. New cam bearings, measuring everything 2-3 times, just enjoying wrenching. Initially I thought it felt better. My first trip to the mountains (roads I know) I found myself using 1 gear higher in turns, with good throttle response. I'm not a fast rider, but can keep up with most. It was nothing "WOW", just better low end power.

2007 Road King Classic, stock 96, stage 1, true Freedom Performance Fishtail duals, Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather air cleaner, HD Race Tuner. 49,000 miles. What will change if I install aftermarket cams, do I really need them? I'm satisfied with the horsepower and torque I have now?

No, the OP doesn't "need" them; none of us just like he didn't "need" the Stage I upgrade. Having said that, if the OP installs the right cam and springs for fuel management and a proper dyno tune, there will be a measureable increase in torque and horsepower. As has been pointed out, upgrading the inner cam bearings at the same time would be advisable.

JMHO but if the installing a cam set without a fuel management system, preferably a "flash" tuner, is a half measure. A proper tune is required to optimize the performance of the new cam set. The question of stock pushrods vs adjustable pushrods also pops up and will depend on the selected cam base circle and/or the additional labor vs the additional cost issue.

However, it seems that the OP has answered his own question; however, I do wonder, if the OP is truly satisfied with the current HP/TQ, why post the question?:confused:

Last edited:
2007 Road King Classic, stock 96, stage 1, true Freedom Performance Fishtail duals, Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather air cleaner, HD Race Tuner. 49,000 miles,
What will change if I install aftermarket cams, do I really need them? I'm satisfied with the horsepower and torque I have now?
My 05 Road King has S&S 551 gear drive easy start cams. They were installed at about 30,000 miles. One of the original cams had wore through the hardened surface that rides in the bearing. The cams came with bearing improvements. The tensioner shoes were still good. The easy start cams let my engine crank much faster. Easy on the starter and battery. I get better power, and a top end punch. The sound is fantastic at all engine speeds. Not all engines can use gear drive cams due to run out on the crank shaft. Your 07 might be a bit different than my 05. The cams took care of the number one reliability issue, cam bearings and tensioners. I used a Thunder Max ECM with auto tune and dual oxygen sensors in true dual head pipes.

Back