free website stats program Camera travel | Harley Davidson Forums

Camera travel

flipper

Account Removed
We are planning our trip to the Smokies and I would like to take my DSLR on this trip, but I want it to be very well protected. I've been doing some research on the hard cases. Does anyone else take a camera like that and if so, what do you carry it in? Brand names would be nice.

A good hard case is fine for protection from bumping and impacts but I'd be sure it's protected from water as well. Some type of waterproof bag like the sporting goods stores sell or even a good ol' zip loc bag from Wal Mart! Of course, then you want to be sure you aren't sealing too much moisture INTO the bag with the camera or that could wreak havoc, too.

A good hard case is fine for protection from bumping and impacts but I'd be sure it's protected from water as well. Some type of waterproof bag like the sporting goods stores sell or even a good ol' zip loc bag from Wal Mart! Of course, then you want to be sure you aren't sealing too much moisture INTO the bag with the camera or that could wreak havoc, too.

Most of the hard cases I've been researching have O rings that make them waterproof and dust proof. I think you can put those silicone bead bags in the case to control moisture content. I'm talking about $1000's in equipment, so I'm taking everything into account.

I have a Canon Rebel Ti2 DSLR that I love, infact it's the camera I used to take my profile pic with and the bag is on the bike in pic. I do not travel with it though on bike, for that exact reason you state, it is way to valuable to risk to the constant vibrations and shocks of the road. I bought, after extensive research, a Canon Powershot ELPH 100HS from Walmart a year ago for about 125.00 now they are probably under a hundred bucks. This is my harley cam...it fits in my pocket, is 12.5 megapix and has HD video. This cam will match your basic touristy pics picture for picture with the big DSLR. Now you give up lens variations and a fine zoom, but for most of what I do, this is perfect. In the same note, I bought my wife a Nikon (basically same as mine only Nikon's version). She loves it, the Nikon has the touch screen so no buttons on the case. anyhow, there are some great pocket cams out there now that rival the big DSLR in picture quality and are more travel friendly for the limited space on the bike.

Pelican makes very good hard cases. hard plastic material that takes hits well. o-ring seal ensures dust and water stay out (they'll float). Comes with tight cell foam that is precut, just pull out where you want the item be. Makes for a snug fit to protect & secure items in place. I've had mine since the 90's and still going fine. Comes in all sizes. Not cheap...but then either is the gear it's protecting. :)

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty familiar with the small pocket size point and shoots, as well as the high end point and shoots. I actually have two of each, all Sonys and they do a really good job. I can honestly get so much better photographs with my 2 DSLRs and the varied lenses though. Alas, I will leave the big cameras/lenses at home and just try to be as creative as possible with the smaller versions. I think I will be happier to avoid the hassle. I have a hard time packing light anyhow.

=========================================================

Pelican makes very good hard cases. hard plastic material that takes hits well. o-ring seal ensures dust and water stay out (they'll float). Comes with tight cell foam that is precut, just pull out where you want the item be. Makes for a snug fit to protect & secure items in place. I've had mine since the 90's and still going fine. Comes in all sizes. Not cheap...but then either is the gear it's protecting. :)

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I saw those and they look like very good quality. I may go on and invest in one of those. Thanks for sharing that info and your experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day, I use Nikon DSLR's and find that the Pelican cases are the most durable, strongest and element proof protection available. Not the cheapest but certainly the best. If you drop one from bike height, no damage to either the case or the contents and the pick and pluck foam interior means the fit around the camera is spot on. If you get one you will not be sorry. Black suits the bikes too.

G'day, I use Nikon DSLR's and find that the Pelican cases are the most durable, strongest and element proof protection available. Not the cheapest but certainly the best. If you drop one from bike height, no damage to either the case or the contents and the pick and pluck foam interior means the fit around the camera is spot on. If you get one you will not be sorry. Black suits the bikes too.

do you have a photo of one?

I carry my old Nikon D-50 in my bag on my street bob. It is a Tamrac bag. I just carry the stock lens on it. 18-55. I now have about 4000 clicks on it, and it always preforms. I see that same bag is about $20 cheaper than when I bought it years ago.

Tamrac 5230 T30 Camera Bag (Black) 523001 B&H Photo Video

It is small and lightweight. If I wanted to take a bigger lens, I just wrapped it in bubble wrap. I store quite a bit in my bags, and like I said it is small, protective and lightweight.

BRIAN

Back