free website stats program Cam Upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Upgrade

jwquinn

So, I have a bug for new cams. I have 2012 FLSTC with an (almost) stock 103" engine. I've added the Stage 1 SE air filter kit and Rush slip-ons. I had the dealer flash the ECU after I added the air kit.

I'm looking to upgrade the cams, and I think I have the wherewithal to do the job myself. I have a couple of questions and am hoping that someone may have done this job before.

- I'm looking at S&S 583's for the replacements. I noticed that they have a version that has a built in compression release on the exhaust valve cam. The bike already has an automatic comp release built in, so I'm thinking that dropping an extra 90 bucks on those cams is a waste and not needed. Any thoughts on this?

- I'll be pulling the exhaust, and it looks like I can pull the entire system off at once by disconnecting the 02 sensors, removing the bolts for the mufflers and cross-tube, and then removing the exhaust bolts at the head. I'm thinking that by leaving the mufflers in place that it might be pretty heavy, so as much as I'd like to leave the system intact if I can, it might be better to pull the slip-ons. Again, any insight would be appreciated. Also, do I need to pick up anything other than new exhaust gaskets before remounting the pipes? One video I saw showed what looked like an o-ring being cut away, but I can't find any reference for it in the manual I have.

Any other insight into the job would be greatly appreciate. I watched the JP Cycle video that runs for about an hour, and that was excellent. I'll be doing new pushrods too. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

- I'm looking at S&S 583's for the replacements. I noticed that they have a version that has a built in compression release on the exhaust valve cam. The bike already has an automatic comp release built in, so I'm thinking that dropping an extra 90 bucks on those cams is a waste and not needed. Any thoughts on this?

If you have automatic compression releases, save the $90.

- I'll be pulling the exhaust, and it looks like I can pull the entire system off at once by disconnecting the 02 sensors, removing the bolts for the mufflers and cross-tube, and then removing the exhaust bolts at the head. I'm thinking that by leaving the mufflers in place that it might be pretty heavy, so as much as I'd like to leave the system intact if I can, it might be better to pull the slip-ons. Again, any insight would be appreciated. Also, do I need to pick up anything other than new exhaust gaskets before remounting the pipes? One video I saw showed what looked like an o-ring being cut away, but I can't find any reference for it in the manual I have.

I recommend pulling the slip-ons. It makes the job much easier. In addition to replacing the exhaust gaskets, I believe Harley recommends replacing the muffler clamps (I did not replace the clamps and have had no problems).

Any other insight into the job would be greatly appreciate. I watched the JP Cycle video that runs for about an hour, and that was excellent. I'll be doing new pushrods too. Thanks for taking the time to read this![/QUOTE]

I recommend that you replace the inner cam shaft bearings (From INA to Timkin bearings). There are some specialty tools required but the price of the tools is more than covered by the savings in labor.

I own a Trike; (Triglide w/103 motor). S&S told me to put a 583 cam in mine. I will be running True Duals, Big Sucker AC, and a TTS fueler plus Dynoed by my Mechanic here in Michigan afterwards. My mechanic also says that he likes to take off everything possible when doing a Cam job. Makes for easy work

Thanks for the responses. I had thought of muffler clamps, so I'll be picking those up as well. I tried using the existing clamps when I swapped the stock mufflers for the Rushes, and I wasn't sure I had a good seal. I'll put new ones on.

New inner bearings come with the cam kit from S&S. That's one of the big reasons I'm doing this in the first place - I'm worried the stock bearings will fail.

After this job is done, I'll be adding a new TFI and then off to the dyno.

One other thing - I'm assuming I'll have to make some adjustments to the ECU. I have some options, and would appreciate any feedback.

I can have HD flash the exiting ecu.

I can install a Power Commander V and either get a map from them or take it to a dyno and have a custom map made - OR maybe power commander can send me one based on the new specs.

Install a Doebeck efi and set it up.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or had any experience? Thanks again.

Back