free website stats program cam tensioners | Harley Davidson Forums

cam tensioners

01 rk

I opened up the cam chest this am and found almost zero wear on the primary tensioner. Question now is do I continue disassembly and replace the bearings, or should I button it back up, I hate to disturb things, that old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
There is 48k on bike the inside is clean no sludge, no signs of wear on the chain or sprokets.
Suggestions please.

unless you wanna go ahead and take care of it all now .. i would but thats me .. then put it back together

My opinion, if you are able to do the work yourself do it. The work will have to be done sooner or later and now is a good time.
Kemo

I bought the bike new 11/05 change the oil every 3k, most of the milage is hwy. Nothing but tires and plugs have been changed. It runs great.

Theres a primary and secondary tensioner in the cam chest, the primary is the outer tensioner the secondary is behind the cam support plate.

Theres a primary and secondary tensioner in the cam chest, the primary is the outer tensioner the secondary is behind the cam support plate.

How does the inner tensioner shoe look? If you haven't checked, get a cheap dental mirror and get it and your eyeball and some light in there and check it. They do not wear the same, and one can look new while the other one is almost down to metal on metal!

TQ

01, what kind of lube do you use? Just curious with almost no wear that is a good testimonial.

I took a look at mine with about 26K and they were nearly gone! You are blessed, indeed. I went ahead and put in some S&S gear drives. What a horrible design those tensioners are. Designed to fail.

Back