free website stats program Cam shoes/crank shaft runout | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam shoes/crank shaft runout

Mavagrand

Here's a question for you mechanically inclined. I recently popped the nose cone off and checked my cam tensioners, after 35k they looked brand new, couldn't see any wear at all. Now, my question, is it safe to assume your crank shaft is within spec if your cam shoes are good? Seems to me if the crankshaft was wobbling, it would wear out the cam shoes quicker. NOt saying all worn cam shoes are an indication of runout but wondering if it could be an indicator.

What say you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Most wear is from the high spring pressure of the tensioner coupled with the sharp edges of the silent chains. Are you asking because you were considering going to gear drive? If so, I would check runout regardless. You don't wanna wing it or assume it's within spec :s

Nope. Most wear is from the high spring pressure of the tensioner coupled with the sharp edges of the silent chains. Are you asking because you were considering going to gear drive? If so, I would check runout regardless. You don't wanna wing it or assume it's within spec :s

I agree, well said

I understand what your saying regarding the spring and chain. However, my bike has hydraulic tensioners and roller chains. So on a bike like mine, could a sympton of crankshaft runout be excessive wear on your cam shoes? It seems to me a crankshaft out of balance would create stresses on the shoes that would otherwise not be there, seems

My bad Mavagrand. I can't see what primary bike or model year members have listed in their avatar when I'm on a mobile. I still don't think there would be a correlation between runout and shoe wear. If a crank got scissored out of spec to create excess runout, the first thing it would affect would be the oil pump. The motor would more than likely be blown/trashed by the time it affected the shoes enough to wear them from the wobbling pinion shaft. JMO

My bad Mavagrand. I can't see what primary bike or model year members have listed in their avatar when I'm on a mobile. I still don't think there would be a correlation between runout and shoe wear. If a crank got scissored out of spec to create excess runout, the first thing it would affect would be the oil pump. The motor would more than likely be blown/trashed by the time it affected the shoes enough to wear them from the wobbling pinion shaft. JMO

This is exactly what happened to mine, cracking the oil pump, keep in mind everything is connected and runs in the same plane, if your crank run out is TOOOOO much the cams and chains will suffer also

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with BigAl. The level of wear observed on the tensioner shoes is not an indicator of crankshaft runout.

I agree with BigAl. The level of wear observed on the tensioner shoes is not an indicator of crankshaft runout.

It may not be an indicator per-say BUT more wear as hydraulics Like Straight pressure Not wobble.... My opinion would be that the Hydraulics (shoe) Would show more wear from an out of round crank...

Checking with a dial indicator would be the tool to use. Excessive Run out is a Death Sentence to a motor...

signed....BUBBIE

It may not be an indicator per-say BUT more wear as hydraulics Like Straight pressure Not wobble.... My opinion would be that the Hydraulics (shoe) Would show more wear from an out of round crank...

Checking with a dial indicator would be the tool to use. Excessive Run out is a Death Sentence to a motor...

signed....BUBBIE

The point I was trying to reinforce is that minimal tensioner shoe wear cannot be taken as evidence that there is minimal crankshaft runout. The only way to know what the runout is, is to measure it with a dial indicator.

If the pinion side of the flywheels shows more than .005 runout you can keep riding for a while. But the long term will be you will have to tear down the engine to correct the runout.

Back