free website stats program Cam Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Question

marknett

Ok , I don't wanna sound dumb here , but I guess I am . I bought my 96 1200c sportster used . It's had a lot of work done on it including s&s carb,V&H pipes, screaming eagle ignition, jugs bored .040 and a bigger cam . This is what I'm wondering about . I want to know what size cam they upgraded to . What all would I have to pull to find out the size of the cams and where is stamped on the cam?

If the cams are stamped on the end you will have to remove the gear case cover right side engine cover. If they are not stamped you will have to measure the lobes of the cams and have something to compare it to

Another cam question...... does anyone know the difference between SE-203 cams and SEH -203??? I ordered SE-203 but the cams I received are stamped with SEH-203. Is there any difference??? What does the "H" stand for??? Will I notice much difference with the 203's vs. the stock cams??? I didn't want anything too big, just a little upgrade. I've heard the 203's will give me a little low end boost, but what will it do to the middle or top end??? Thanks.

It would be easier to contact your DMV and see if they can give you the previous owner(s) or the original dealer. Here in Fl. auto dealers can find all the owners of a vehicle.

It would be easier to contact your DMV and see if they can give you the previous owner(s) or the original dealer. Here in Fl. auto dealers can find all the owners of a vehicle.

The guy I bought it from said he has the paperwork somewhere on the upgrade but can't find it . He didn't remember the cam size that was done. I think it was a 'buddy of mine fixed it' kind of deal

The guy I bought it from said he has the paperwork somewhere on the upgrade but can't find it . He didn't remember the cam size that was done. I think it was a 'buddy of mine fixed it' kind of deal

See if you can get the name of the buddy. Even if you open the cam chest there is nothing saying there will be a number on the cams. Andrews puts #'s on the end but some aftermarket manuf. do not. You can measure the height of the lobe but figuring out dwell and overlap is not that easy. Even that will not give you the cam # without researching all the Manuf web sites.

Thanks for the responses . Guess It's not worth it unless I can find out from rhe "buddy" who did the job

Another cam question...... does anyone know the difference between SE-203 cams and SEH -203??? I ordered SE-203 but the cams I received are stamped with SEH-203. Is there any difference??? What does the "H" stand for??? Will I notice much difference with the 203's vs. the stock cams??? I didn't want anything too big, just a little upgrade. I've heard the 203's will give me a little low end boost, but what will it do to the middle or top end??? Thanks.
I think the H is there and No Difference the SE 203 is the same as far as I know..

Go read here:http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/calculators.htm

This will tell you about the cams so YOU can figure it out... I personally would of gone with the se204 cam... A little More Low end torque com'n on a little earlier as the intake close is 30* and I like the .508" lift on both intake-exhaust

I think you are going to be disappointed EXPECTING BIG Things from JUST a Cam...

The engine Needs a total package to gain enough to REALLY do anything....... Cams by them selves will Help but NOT doing what I read around your question to do..... I might be Wrong in thinking YOUR thinking BUT........

Read about what others have done and KNOW what you want Before you Jump into a Part, Just to put it in,,,,, as IT IS just PART of the TOTAL equation....

Yes that cam will give you a CHANGE but is it enough to do what you want?

It needs exhaust and More Air to go along with and My suggestion Then is a TFI for a little more fuel.. These THREE things along with the CAM will give good results

signed....BUBBIE

I think the H is there and No Difference the SE 203 is the same as far as I know..

Go read here:http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/calculators.htm

This will tell you about the cams so YOU can figure it out... I personally would of gone with the se204 cam... A little More Low end torque com'n on a little earlier as the intake close is 30* and I like the .508" lift on both intake-exhaust

I think you are going to be disappointed EXPECTING BIG Things from JUST a Cam...

The engine Needs a total package to gain enough to REALLY do anything....... Cams by them selves will Help but NOT doing what I read around your question to do..... I might be Wrong in thinking YOUR thinking BUT........

Read about what others have done and KNOW what you want Before you Jump into a Part, Just to put it in,,,,, as IT IS just PART of the TOTAL equation....

Yes that cam will give you a CHANGE but is it enough to do what you want?

It needs exhaust and More Air to go along with and My suggestion Then is a TFI for a little more fuel.. These THREE things along with the CAM will give good results

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for your reply. I'm not expecting big changes, just a little. Doing the cam chain conversion kit, so as long as they were out I figured I'd upgrade. My bike has a stock 88 motor & stock CV carb, high flow air cleaner, and V&H Longshots. I recently put two #4 washers under the needle in the carb on Gliders advice and that made a noticeable difference. Heading to the dealer now to have them press the bearings and cams in the new support plate, so I'll see if they'll swap the 203's for 204's.
Thanks again.
:D

Thanks for your reply. I'm not expecting big changes, just a little. Doing the cam chain conversion kit, so as long as they were out I figured I'd upgrade. My bike has a stock 88 motor & stock CV carb, high flow air cleaner, and V&H Longshots. I recently put two #4 washers under the needle in the carb on Gliders advice and that made a noticeable difference. Heading to the dealer now to have them press the bearings and cams in the new support plate, so I'll see if they'll swap the 203's for 204's.
Thanks again.
:D
You might be OK on the Jetting on the bike as IT will get More fuel into it because of the lifts on the cams over the stock lifts..... And the 204's closing at 34* intake and the stock cams close at 38*... giving a bit More compression to the mix..(a good thing)

I have read a lot about these cams and IF I remember RBingham suggested to use them(204) Over the 203's ALSO because used in a Heavy bike Like yours, would do a better Job in low end earlier torque...
YOU have to be the one that makes that decision...... Not just on what I have said though..

I would think YOU are really doing the right job on Your bike buy going with the Up-grades Oil pump and cam plate and EITHER of these cams will work but the 204 Just a little better from ALL THE READING I have done about them in comparison, from others who WISHED they used the 204's...

With the Hyd. KIT installed,,,You will have an older bike with the Upgrades needed to give you MORE years of good riding..

Smart to do!!!!!

signed....BUBBIE

Back