free website stats program cam question | Harley Davidson Forums

cam question

Turk55

I have a 09 SG - 96" stock with V&H Big Shot's, Harley Heavy Breather, & T-Max Ing. I am thinking about changing the cams to gear drive. I have two 88" with S&S 510g gear drives in them and love it just not sure what cams to go with or manufacture, any input would be greatly appreciated.:eam

What do you want ? were ya want the power at ? any of the big names will be good .. S&S makes a drop in gear drive setup for the 96's

They Make Good Stuff S&S does i put the SE 255 in mine and it gives some yank but nto gear drive like you asked .. if it was my money Andrews or woods Cams .. you can call Woods direct and get to talk to bob sometimes and tell him what you want and he will till ya what u need .. same with andrews

Your NOT going to have ANY problems with going GEAR DRIVE ,,,,
IF done Right.(.)

On any year and model, the Crank Run Out is the VERY important thing to have checked BEFORE you order any parts.(.)

If the Crank run out is more than Total .003/.004 I would NOT go gear drive.(.)
*****Just note that I have had VERY good luck using gear drive SS cams.

The older (before the newer 96") engines seemed to have Less Problem with Crank run-out.

The Least $$$$ way for you right Now is to go JUST with the change of cams/adj. push-rods and be done with it... You have all the "good things" in your Newer style bike and really don't Need Gear Drives UNLESS You want them..

The call ofcorse is all yours but why go thru the $$$$ just for the gear drive system when you Don't need to..

On the older engines, (pre 06/07) the motors needed a lot of updates/upgrades..

Like, tension SHOES, oil pump gerotors (larger on pressure and return flow)
This is ALL there on your newer style motor...

Just MY opinion.....

signed....BUBBIE

That makes a lot of sense, I think I will stay with chain drive, now the only question will be S&S, WOODS, or ? and what size to go with. Thanks again to all for input. :D

You might want to check out the Andrews 48H. IMHO it is the best 96in bolt in cam. It has all the power down low like the SE255 but carries it out further than the 255. Second on my list would be the Cycle Rama 575. It is a high lift version of the SE 204.

Randall

Back