free website stats program Cam plate swap | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam plate swap

Kaycee

I have a 05 FXDWG and am wanting to remove the spring tensioners,I have a friend who has a 07 cam chest that he replaced when he did a 107 kit.Can this plate/pump set swap over into my 05.are athe bearings holes the same or ???:panic Thanks for your time

I have a 05 FXDWG and am wanting to remove the spring tensioners,I have a friend who has a 07 cam chest that he replaced when he did a 107 kit.Can this plate/pump set swap over into my 05.are athe bearings holes the same or ???:panic Thanks for your time

Should work. But change out the inner and outer bearings (use the Torringtons on the inner, NOT the INA from HD). You may want to consider cams if you are going to all this trouble. And consider adjustable PRs. See here:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

http://www.hdtimeline.com/harley_davidson_engine_related_issues/25220-roller_chain_conversion.html

TQ's Engine Build

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Yeah I was going to change all that out push rods are on the way,I just have a great deal for an upgrade.Just want to make sure it will fit Thanks for your time

You will have to change out your cams to do this upgrade. They are called "Conversion Cams". These have the 7/8" inner journals required for the older cases and the outer journals for the new style cam plate.

I suggest the Andrews 48N conversion cam since your bike is an 05. 2005 was the first year that the Twin Cam heads came with the "bee-hive" valve springs. These springs will accommodate up to .575" lift cams. 99-04 heads can only accommodate up to .510" lift cams.

The 48N cam will give you the most torque available for a bolt in cam on your TC 88. The .548" helps carry that power out nicely too. :rider

You might read this this thread.
2006 Dyna Low Rider Cam Upgrade - Harley Davidson Community

OK Thanks for the advice I asked Andrews on what cam, and they suggested a 26,kinda thought I had it narrowed down on what I wanted now I don't know:newsmile030: This is the first I heard of it accepting a 575 lift,all this time I thought 510 was my max.I guess it is good news ,Thanks for the Help I'll look at the 48 and re-evaluate this I guess this plate/pump setup will limit the cam choice 's

OK Thanks for the advice I asked Andrews on what cam, and they suggested a 26,kinda thought I had it narrowed down on what I wanted now I don't know:newsmile030: This is the first I heard of it accepting a 575 lift,all this time I thought 510 was my max.I guess it is good news ,Thanks for the Help I'll look at the 48 and re-evaluate this I guess this plate/pump setup will limit the cam choice 's

Kemo put the 26 grind cams in his bike when he did the roller chain conversion. I went with the 21s. His take off a little higher then mine and last further up the rpm curve. Mine come on a little lower. I was looking for more low end torque. I think both of us are happy with our selection of both cams and upgrade kits.

TQ

Here is a link to a 23 page report for a TC head flow bench study.
http://neverworld.net/socalnetscum/files/tech/HD_TC_IntakeFBStudyRel1.pdf

Here is the summary of the differences between the heads. (If you want the flow numbers you will have to read the report.

’99-’04 TC Head

The heads on TC engines from 1999 to 2004 were from the same casting. These heads
came with 5/16” valve stems with 1.85” intake valves and 1.565” exhaust valves
controlled by coil springs with about a .510” cam lift limit when using stock rockers.
The last digit of the casting number for these casting heads is -99.

’05 TC Head

The heads were from the same casting as the previous years, but they came with smaller
7mm valve stem with 1.805” intake valves and 1.575” exhaust valves controlled by beehive
springs which could accommodate higher than .510” cams. Although, there is no
additional flow potential as cast with the greater lift ability.

’06 and up TC Head

Starting the 2006 model year, the head casting changed. The intake and exhaust ports
were re-shaped and the stock head flow potential was improved from the earlier -99
castings. These new castings were paired up with the smaller 7mm valve stems and beehive
springs introduced the previous model year. The intake manifold mounting area also
changed between the -06 castings and earlier. To use these heads on pre-2006 Twin Cams
newer style manifold clamps must be purchased.

With the exception replacing the old style intake manifold flange to the newer symmetric
flange 26993-06, the -06 casting heads are a direct bolt on as a replacement for the
previous castings.

I hope that clears things up for you.
Randall

Back