free website stats program Cam Plate / Cams Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Plate / Cams Question

rking_99

Looking at upgrading my 1999 cam plate from spring loaded tensioners to hydraulic.

The following is a description from an auction, I understand there is one hole on the back of the cam plate that will need to be blocked. Will these cams fit into my bearings? Any other issues you guys see with this setup?

Harley Davidson twin cam 96" cams , cam plate ,oil pump ,gears,chains ,hydraulic tensioners and lifters this is a complete drop in ready to go set up. The oem cam plate number is 25358-06

Is there any questions I should ask the seller of this product?

The setup you are looking at won't work. The cam bearings in the 88 ci motor measure 7/8" while the cam bearings in a 96 ci motor measure 1".

Andrews 26N cams then? And then the setup will work?

I think you need the "KIT" to convert fit your TC 88/95"..

A special cam plate is needed. i.e, the kit HD sells has a new high volume oil pump and Cam plate.. and other parts.... YES the oil pump from a newer 96" TC will fit the 88" but the plate needs to be different also. Larger gerotors in the High Volume pump. you STILL will need a plate to fit Cams to Your Smaller size cam bearings and of a different style... (bearings - Bushings)

I would say the IF you machined down the cam journals on a 96" TC (not impossible) that fit into the engine block from one inch to the 7/8 on the cams, Then you could make the 96" plate work with the newer style pump and ALL you have...

You Might check with the cam people to see IF they offer a conversion like you need. From 7/8 to the 96" bushing style?? I Don't Know if they do but they may...

IF you buy a SE cam-plate to convert and then a oil pump,you will spend more money on single parts than the kit... 429$

signed....BUBBIE

Andrews 26N cams then? And then the setup will work?

The AP "N" series run in the journal bearing of the cam plate on an oil film. Not sure if the cam plate with that set out of the 96ci you are looking at has bearings in it in which case the "N" series will not work. As Redfish said above, the inboard end of the latter year bigger bore engines will be larger diamerter and the cams out of the 96ci will not fit in your '99 88ci.

With the need to buy new cams, is that set almost as expensive and getting the roller chain conversion kit from Herko? check this out for his contact info if interested:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Harley Davidson Community

TQ's Engine Build

TQ

There are a multitude of posts that cover the cam plate upgrade on this forum. TQ did a great job on his posts, and I used his when I did my conversion a while back. I did upgrade to the Andrews 26N's on my Ultra and they are a good choice. Lots of midrange power. As for blocking a hole in the camplate, if memory serves, it depends on how early a Twin Cam you have. I had to block mine off, but it was no big deal. The instructions with the cam plate covered it all. As the posts will point out, make sure to change your inner cam bearings from the INA's to the Torrington units. Good luck...

The AP "N" series run in the journal bearing of the cam plate on an oil film. Not sure if the cam plate with that set out of the 96ci you are looking at has bearings in it in which case the "N" series will not work. As Redfish said above, the inboard end of the latter year bigger bore engines will be larger diamerter and the cams out of the 96ci will not fit in your '99 88ci.

With the need to buy new cams, is that set almost as expensive and getting the roller chain conversion kit from Herko? check this out for his contact info if interested:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

TQ's Engine Build

TQ

From what I understand from other posts on the 4M, Herko no longer selling the kit. Is this correct. It appears he is located in southern Indiana, would be worth a trip to get it. But, does he still sell them?

From what I understand from other posts on the 4M, Herko no longer selling the kit. Is this correct. It appears he is located in southern Indiana, would be worth a trip to get it. But, does he still sell them?

I think the BIG problem is HD doesn't Sell or allow the parts to the Middle Men any more...

I'd say You can make up your own kit by buying the "HD Kit" it has the pump and cam plate, chains and the hydraulic shoes needed along with some new chain (front one) and sprockets... I think you still use your cam to cam chain though.. You can buy a new stock chain if you feel it is worn..(Kit was 429$) and go from there ??? Bearings are another concern of many.. If replacing them Not INA...

signed....BUBBIE

Back