free website stats program Cam gear drive changeover | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam gear drive changeover

greasit

Can you guys tell me approx what should it cost to put in a new cam gear drive, andrews 26g cams, new screaming eagle pump and plate with labor? Have to see if I can afford to change from the chain drive.
Thanks in advance

OK, I can't help you with the cost estimate but I wanted to clarify for someone who can.

For the gear drive you dont need the screamin eagle plate and oil pump. Those parts are for tc88's to convert them to hydraulic cam chain tensioners. If going to gear drive all you need is the new cams and gears.

Although I dont know the exact cost of what the dealer will charge I would say a rough estimate cost of parts is around $600. Add another $600 for labor. Although this is just a rough idea your cost should be in the neighborhood of $1,200.

My cost to change to the S&S gear drive, Andrews 26G with SE taper quick change push rods and all all the gaskets. With Gainesville HD doing the change was $1063.00. $262.00 for the SERT and $240.00 Dyno tuned. If I had been a member of the forum I would have purchased the Dobeck tuner and not had the cost of the dyno.

My Indie quoted me $900. It was for S&S 510 gear drive. No pump change or plate change. He was taking the rocker boxes apart, so he was re-using stock push rods.

For the gear drive you dont need the screamin eagle plate and oil pump. Those parts are for tc88's to convert them to hydraulic cam chain tensioners. If going to gear drive all you need is the new cams and gears.

Although I dont know the exact cost of what the dealer will charge I would say a rough estimate cost of parts is around $600. Add another $600 for labor. Although this is just a rough idea your cost should be in the neighborhood of $1,200.

That is about where I would say...

Go for it IF you can.
They Do give out estimates and IF they are Not busy busy they even Have given bargain prices...:D

(sometimes)

signed....BUBBIE

I replaced cam chain tensioners with Andrews gear drive 26g, also Timken bearings, adjustable pushrods, fueling oil pump and by-pass spring. About $900.00. I had the cams installed in the support plate, and I put it together from there. Since then I have never had to wonder "are the cam chain tensioners going out on this trip"? I am now passing 100,000 miles. "There are crank run out limits you need to be aware of to the gear drive."

Depends on whether your crank runout allows it in it's current condition. Otherwise you're looking at crank upgrade to go with it.

Back