free website stats program cam chain tensioners | Harley Davidson Forums

cam chain tensioners

01 rk

I am going to replace the tensioners on my '06 flhtc, just wondering if anyone had the work done in a shop and what the price is to replace them.
The bike has 48k on it so they need to be replaced.
Can the work can be done at a reasonable price vs. doing it myself?
Thanks
Dave

If you're even remotely handy with tools, have a service manual, and come back here often with any questions or problems, I'm convinced almost any "bike project" is within your reach. Search the Self Help Tips, take your time, and don't be afraid or shy to ask for help. You'll save $$$ and really get to know your bike better.

I agree with the Dr. This site has saved me lots of $$$ by me asking questions and doing the work my self.

This is a fairly easy project assuming you have access to the special tools needed to remove and install the inner roller bearings. Those are the only special tools that are essential. The rest can be worked around.

Your biggest challenge is wading through the subjective opinions on gear drive vs. roller chain conversion vs. HD up-grade vs. just replacing the tensioner shoes.

If you have decided on the roller chain conversion vs. gear drive, check this out:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

To see what is involved, check out my pictorial in the link Jack sent you above.

TQ

don't know about your part of the country, I have had three done on two different scoots. ranging from $400, to $383 to $465. those being Indy mechanics. I would be afraid to imagine what the dealer would cost, and would be too afraid to let one do it. But that is just my humble opinion.

I will add my agreement with the posts saying you can do this yourself. TQ's writeup is excellent. I used it when I did my tensioners. Some of the specialty tooling you can pickup used on Ebay or like sources.

I have reviewed TQ's slide show on the tensioner change, as stated not a big deal. I have the ability. It comes down to spending $200 on the special bearing tools required or $225 on labor to have it done, the cost of the parts is the same either way. That being said, doing it myself is more of a comfort thing, knowing exactly what was done.
Thanks to all for the input.
Dave

I have reviewed TQ's slide show on the tensioner change, as stated not a big deal. I have the ability. It comes down to spending $200 on the special bearing tools required or $225 on labor to have it done, the cost of the parts is the same either way. That being said, doing it myself is more of a comfort thing, knowing exactly what was done.
Thanks to all for the input.
Dave

On the tools thing, you may be able to beg or borrow those from some of the guys here, or pick them up on eBay or the like.

I bought mine when I did the job, and then passed them on to another guy who was doing his up-grade. Told him he could give me a deposit of $100, and I would return that to him when the tools came back, or keep it if he wanted the tools. Either way was good with me.

TQ

Back