free website stats program cam chain tensioners | Harley Davidson Forums

cam chain tensioners

Billbo

More on this -- a Harley dealer here (not sure IF I am supposed to put their web address or not) is offering a SE cam plate kit with hydraulic tensioners and new oil pump etc installed for $1085 plus tax ~ $100. I saw in my HD wishbook the same or simular kit for $439 - cam plate, new pump and hydraulic tensioners etc.
Question 1 does that cost difference seem inline with labor charges?
Question 2 does the kit installation sound like a good deal at ~$1200?
Question 3 should I spend the $$ to have this kit installed in my bike? (read below)

I probably dont ride over about 3-5K miles a year. Maybe 1000 mile trip but rarely. Occasional weekend rides of about 2-5 hundred miles. I have an '01 Heritage with 43K miles. I bought it used so I really dont know if it has original tensioners or new hydraulic. I suppose it would it be as simple as pulling off the right side cover and looking at the tensioners to find out? Just have not done that, but would before I took to a shop.

Thanks
Bill

I have heard of dealers running 600.00 specials on this. Rocket(member here) just got it done for 800 in HD Jackonville, NC.(probably considered New River)

At 43K at the very very least you should have them checked.

At 43,000 miles and being the start of spring, do it, don't know what parts are included, if it's just the camplate upgrade your paying almost $700.00 in labor, so I would think they are giving you new cams, adjustable push rods & tappets with this deal? The biggest question is..... do you trust this dealer, if not stay away, they can up that price with extra's once they have your bike in the shop, but if you have dealt with and trust this dealer your mileage on the scoot say's do it. The job (labor wise) is a four maybe five hour job tops, I would not pay more labor then that.

At 43,000 miles and being the start of spring, do it, don't know what parts are included, if it's just the camplate upgrade your paying almost $700.00 in labor, so I would think they are giving you new cams, adjustable push rods & tappets with this deal? The biggest question is..... do you trust this dealer, if not stay away, they can up that price with extra's once they have your bike in the shop, but if you have dealt with and trust this dealer your mileage on the scoot say's do it. The job (labor wise) is a four maybe five hour job tops, I would not pay more labor then that.
Thanks again for all your advise and help. The kit includes oil pump, hydraulic tensioners, cam plate. Thats it. That sounds like the kit in the HD book for $439. If I add $100 per hour labor for about 5 hours to that $439, - I get real close to their $1085. I think I will check it out and may also have THEM repair the trans drain (othe post)

Bill

Bill,

If you have the skill, you might open up the nose cone and take a peek before deciding. With the low mileage you run, you might just include changing out the spring loaded tensioners as part of your routine maintenance plan every two years. This is not a guaranteed approach, but doing that coupled with changing to a FULL synthetic engine oil might get you by.

If you are changing out to the roller chain, check out Herko's kit as an alternative. His contact info is here:

Flying W Performance

To see how easy the job is, check this out:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Thanks again for all your advise and help. The kit includes oil pump, hydraulic tensioners, cam plate. Thats it. That sounds like the kit in the HD book for $439. If I add $100 per hour labor for about 5 hours to that $439, - I get real close to their $1085. I think I will check it out and may also have THEM repair the trans drain (othe post)

Bill

jonas said,,,,,, he payed 800 and that sound like a BETTER deal....

REMEMBER to check and ASK for a BETTER deal..... IT IS A CUSTOMER market during this time of year.... It would be a better deal IF they threw in the adjustable push rods and LESS labor in NOT HAVING TO TEAR INTO THE TOP END.... (ask them about this.....)

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT..... If they JUST replace the cam KIT stuff(all) they have to take the TOP END valve area LOOSE and I would rather LEAVE the top end alone if no problems there.. and use the adjustable push rods...... ALSO I would go with a set of NEW hd B's LIFTERS while apart ??? another 85$ i think...

(Chopper was right on about the stuff included and the $$ amount to do it, thinking MORE was included... REMEMBER he does know his STUFF on this more than I....)

I would also ask them IF they are replacing the INNER cam bearings?
and I WOULD WANT them to be replaced with the TORRINGTONS....
while THERE if you have any CAM up-grades wanted NOW IS THE TIME WHILE APART!!!!!!
a little more POWER and PERFORMANCE on the FEW rides you go on but making them QUALITY ones.........

YOU can have your CAKE and EAT IT TOO!!
It doesn't matter how often you ride IT but the QUALITY and not breaking down or going BAD WHILE on the ride is PRICELESS...... 43,000 is a lot of miles to KEEP going WITH OUT the upgrades(or checking SHOES), IN MY BOOK.....

THAT'S a great up-graded bike that should last a longer time!

signed....BUBBIE

jonas said,,,,,, he payed 800 and that sound like a BETTER deal....

REMEMBER to check and ASK for a BETTER deal..... IT IS A CUSTOMER market during this time of year.... It would be a better deal IF they threw in the adjustable push rods and LESS labor in NOT HAVING TO TEAR INTO THE TOP END.... (ask them about this.....)

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT..... If they JUST replace the cam KIT stuff(all) they have to take the TOP END valve area LOOSE and I would rather LEAVE the top end alone if no problems there.. and use the adjustable push rods...... ALSO I would go with a set of NEW hd B's LIFTERS while apart ??? another 85$ i think...

(Chopper was right on about the stuff included and the $$ amount to do it, thinking MORE was included... REMEMBER he does know his STUFF on this more than I....)

I would also ask them IF they are replacing the INNER cam bearings?
and I WOULD WANT them to be replaced with the TORRINGTONS....
while THERE if you have any CAM up-grades wanted NOW IS THE TIME WHILE APART!!!!!!
a little more POWER and PERFORMANCE on the FEW rides you go on but making them QUALITY ones.........

YOU can have your CAKE and EAT IT TOO!!
It doesn't matter how often you ride IT but the QUALITY and not breaking down or going BAD WHILE on the ride is PRICELESS...... 43,000 is a lot of miles to KEEP going WITH OUT the upgrades(or checking SHOES), IN MY BOOK.....

THAT'S a great up-graded bike that should last a longer time!

signed....BUBBIE

Bill,

If you have the skill, you might open up the nose cone and take a peek before deciding. With the low mileage you run, you might just include changing out the spring loaded tensioners as part of your routine maintenance plan every two years. This is not a guaranteed approach, but doing that coupled with changing to a FULL synthetic engine oil might get you by.

If you are changing out to the roller chain, check out Herko's kit as an alternative. His contact info is here:

Flying W Performance

To see how easy the job is, check this out:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Thanks guys for the info and advice. I will check it out before making my decision and go from there. IF they need changing out - I will go with the hydraulic I guess. I just want the ole bike to be trustworthy for another bunch of years.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

Thanks guys for the info and advice. I will check it out before making my decision and go from there. IF they need changing out - I will go with the hydraulic I guess. I just want the ole bike to be trustworthy for another bunch of years.

Bill
well that didnt look quite right! How do I reply to TWO posts at the same time? I know to check off the "quote message in reply" square - that takes care of one - so how do you reply to two?? EDIT - I just used the 'cut n paste' method for this one.

Bill

Last edited:
well that didnt look quite right! How do I reply to TWO posts at the same time? I know to check off the "quote message in reply" square - that takes care of one - so how do you reply to two?? EDIT - I just used the 'cut n paste' method for this one.

Bill

To respond to more than one post, use the "Multi Quote" button rather than the Quote button. Check out above. I fixed your previous message.

TQ

Back