free website stats program Cam Chain Tensioner Pics | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Chain Tensioner Pics

Hi i have 04 road king 47000k i was told i probably need new cam adjusters, i read alot of postings still don"t know hyd. or gear drive ss, i want reliability,V H pipes,fuel pac,K N filter your opinion would be appreciated

There are many on the forum that have changed to the new hyd. chain tensioner so it must be something that works. I guess it's my old school training so I went with the S&S gear drive and support plate. 28,000mi on the change and no problems with wear or whine. Seems it's more a preference thing than one is better than the other.

The way I understand it, one has to worry about runout with gears, but not so with hydraulic setup.

I have gears and have had no problems.

I just started having noises from my cam area with only 17,000 miles on the bike. I took it to the shop awaiting the word from them on what they find. In looking at teh blogs it appears the tensioners may be a weak spot in this area. How often do you change them or when do you check them?

I just started having noises from my cam area with only 17,000 miles on the bike. I took it to the shop awaiting the word from them on what they find. In looking at teh blogs it appears the tensioners may be a weak spot in this area. How often do you change them or when do you check them?

Before I changed mine over to gear drive I spoke with the service manager and he said that the general thought there was to inspect them at 30,000mi, but he had seen them worn out with as little as 10,000mi. I haven't seen any post yet about how long to go before inspection of the new hyd tensioner. If your hearing noise it's time to take a look before something happens, as it is if your hearing something you may already have some of the pad material in places you don't want it.

This is jmho but I think it's strictly up to you. There are many valid points for going with gears over the chain , but that being said I wouldn't have just anybody do the conversion, changing over to gears is'nt just a plug and play thing, first off you need to know what you're crank run out is to see if it's even an option for you. If you were rebuilding the motor from the bottom end up I would say gears would be a great option, but just doing normal wear and tear maintance I would stay as close to stock as possible, either just replace the worn shoes are going with the updated SE option.

Back