free website stats program Cam chain tensioner follow up | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain tensioner follow up

Cuzz

Thanks to all for the input to my original question. How much disassembly is needed to inspect the tensioners? It looks to my like replacement is a lot more involved.

Thanks to all for the input to my original question. How much disassembly is needed to inspect the tensioners? It looks to my like replacement is a lot more involved.

I have posted on other threads that the New Style Hydraulics Tensioners DON'T wear like the "Old style Shoe".

IF you want a look, the hardest part is getting the COVER open enough to remove it,

On my 09 FLHR that means the exhaust manifolds must be loosened (I take All exhaust OFF) and the right floorboard removed to open up enough room to get the allen on all bolts a to remove the cam cover(remember ,,, it IS just a cover) I also use that same gasket when put back(gasket checks okay many times I have done this)...

Unless you have a problem and THINK the Hydraulics need a LOOK I would advise Stay Out of there...

To me it is a lot of needless work removing the exhaust to JUST Look.:D

Go to a HD or Indy shop and ask to see one down WHEN they have one apart...

The exhaust off is the ONLY tough thing about a look and see.

I did my LOOKing several times.... reasons:

new cams- SE255's and check crank run-out

oil pump and or cam plate problems (replace the cam-plate) still oil pressure problems.

back in to check pump and nothing wrong there that I could find. Back together AGAIN.

Back apart again, nothing found

Now IF I LOOK at my bike it GROANS at me and says OH NO, Not Again:newsmile100:

If you go into the cam-cover for a look. It Looks Just Like the many pictures you can find off the net and much easier on the nuts and bolts and the exhaust CHROME that way.

signed....BUBBIE

If you are just gonna take a peek to make sure there are no problems with the shoes on the hydraulic tensioners, you may be able to avoid removing the right floorboard and pipe by cutting down an allen wrench so it will fit behind the pipe enough to get the fastener handy. Better, if you can make (or get made) an allen wrench welded at a 90* angle (rather than bent) with only enough on the short leg to get a good bite on the head of the fastener.

Once you can get behind the pipe to loosen it up, the other fasteners are easily accessed.

Inside the cover (BTW, be prepared for the excess oil that will come out when you loosen the cover), you will see the outer tensioner shoe which is obvious. To eyeball the inner shoe, you will need a small light and a cheap dental mirror. Cram that stuff and your eyeball in behind the plate to see what condition the inner shoe is in too.

If everything is OK, then button it back up for another year or so. If you have to work on it, then removing the floorboard and pipe will make that a bunch easier.

TQ

Thanks for the feedback. What is visible or accessible if the smaller round cover plate is removed? Seems like the perfect application for a fiber optic rod.

Thanks for the feedback. What is visible or accessible if the smaller round cover plate is removed? Seems like the perfect application for a fiber optic rod.

Nothing. It is just a hollow space now. Does not lead into the cam chest. It is a left over from when they put the optics for ignition control in there.

TQ

Back