free website stats program Cam chain kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain kit

No but that is a very reasonable price for all those parts
WAP.gif

The parts we sell are "New or Refurbished". Upon order processing you will be informed by email if the part is "Refurbished", at which time you can confirm a purchase decision. Parts are purchased from factory overruns and suppliers going out of business. All parts are checked thoroughly before packaging.
This might scare me a bit

That price doesn't include the cam plate or the oil pump. Just the stock spring loaded tensioners, not the newer hydraulic ones, some O-rings, gaskets, and two bearings. Probably worth about $100, but you could get the same parts from the local HD dealer for about the same price.

That price doesn't include the cam plate or the oil pump. Just the stock spring loaded tensioners, not the newer hydraulic ones, some O-rings, gaskets, and two bearings. Probably worth about $100, but you could get the same parts from the local HD dealer for about the same price.

Actually, that parts list would cost $170 purchased from an online discount dealer, plus shipping. The tensioners alone run about $50/each. The tensioners shown do not appear to be the OEM tensioners; they look like the CYCO tensioners that run less than $20/each and are much better than the OEM tensioners. It inner cam bearings are the OEM INA bearings, not the Torrington B148s which are better.

Having said that, the OP could buy the kit, purchase the B148s for about $12 from a local bearing house and still be money ahead.:D

Actually, that parts list would cost $170 purchased from an online discount dealer, plus shipping. The tensioners alone run about $50/each. The tensioners shown do not appear to be the OEM tensioners; they look like the CYCO tensioners that run less than $20/each and are much better than the OEM tensioners. It inner cam bearings are the OEM INA bearings, not the Torrington B148s which are better.

Having said that, the OP could buy the kit, purchase the B148s for about $12 from a local bearing house and still be money ahead.:D

I didn't realize the spring loaded tensioners were $50 ea. But why would you go through all that work to replace something that wasn't a very good product or design in the first place, knowing you might have to replace them again somewhere down the road??? And definitely go with the Torrington bearings. I don't understand why Harley doesn't install them at the factory. Well, actually I do, but as much as we pay for these bikes brand new, can't they just charge us an extra $20 for the bike with better bearings???

I didn't realize the spring loaded tensioners were $50 ea. But why would you go through all that work to replace something that wasn't a very good product or design in the first place, knowing you might have to replace them again somewhere down the road??? And definitely go with the Torrington bearings. I don't understand why Harley doesn't install them at the factory. Well, actually I do, but as much as we pay for these bikes brand new, can't they just charge us an extra $20 for the bike with better bearings???

Agree completely on the tensioners. However, there is a case to be made that since the old link chain has been "polished" by the previous use that a set of new OEM tensioners will last longer. In the days prior to the introduction of the new tensioners, many that did not want to go the gear drive cams which was the only alternative to the early setup would polish the link chain when replacing tensioners. Not one to subscribe to that practice, I went gear drive.

If you note the color of the tensioners in the OPs attachment, they are white in color, not the orange color of the OEM tensioners. I suspect that the tensioners are the CYCO tensioners which go for about $30/pair which would allow the seller a nice profit selling that kit for $99 with CYCO tensioners in lieu of the OEM tensioners although they do refer to the tensioners with an HD PN. I have never seen any early OEM tensioners that were white in color.:s

As for the bearings, I also agree and pretty sure the MoCo bean counters are involved in that decision. The MoCo now sells the upgraded bearings as well, so they have a supplier and could easily introduce them into the assembly line.

Agree completely on the tensioners. However, there is a case to be made that since the old link chain has been "polished" by the previous use that a set of new OEM tensioners will last longer. In the days prior to the introduction of the new tensioners, many that did not want to go the gear drive cams which was the only alternative to the early setup would polish the link chain when replacing tensioners. Not one to subscribe to that practice, I went gear drive.

If you note the color of the tensioners in the OPs attachment, they are white in color, not the orange color of the OEM tensioners. I suspect that the tensioners are the CYCO tensioners which go for about $30/pair which would allow the seller a nice profit selling that kit for $99 with CYCO tensioners in lieu of the OEM tensioners although they do refer to the tensioners with an HD PN. I have never seen any early OEM tensioners that were white in color.:s
You are 100 percent here, IMO if I were doing this job I would upgrade to the late style tensioners and be done with it. Better yet if the runout was good I would opt for gear drive and be done

Back