free website stats program Cam area noise when hot | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam area noise when hot

jaxdwg

When I start my bike cold the engine has NO rattles but after it is fully warmed up I hear the cams and/or cam chain making a rattle. If I bring it above an idle it gets abit quieter again. I was wondering if putting in a stronger pressure relief spring would help? 02 wideglide 95", 211 cams and the se oil pump/cam plate upgrade. Bike runs fine but feels as if it is low on oil pressure at an idle, letting the cam chains rattle. I do hear a bit of a whir at speed but have deduced that might be the torrington needle bearings transferring a bit of noise, which doesn't bother me. I also have the -b lifters in it. Suggestions????

May have a pinched "O" ring on the plate is one possibility for the low oil pressure. Have you verified the pressure at idle with a gauge?

May have a pinched "O" ring on the plate is one possibility for the low oil pressure. Have you verified the pressure at idle with a gauge?

No I haven't Glider. What should it be with the se oil pump at about 850 rpms?

Idle oil pressure will vary but you should have in the area of 10 +- lbs which would do the job. The 850 RPM idle could be part of the problem too. You need about 950-1000 to be right.

Ok glider; I found the problem. Apparently I didn't get the cam sprocket bolt tight, it backed out the other day and hit the cam cover and locked the engine up tight, skidded the wheel. Luckily I was less than a block from my house and I was just puttin it in second. I pushed it home and found the cam cover with a big crack in it. (I had pictures of parts and pieces in my head) Took off the cover to find the bolt head embedded in the inside of the cover. Everything was good except the bolt being loose (got lucky cause I was only going about 15-20). Re-loctited the bolt and put silicone over the crack (ordered new one) and went out to see if everything was ok. Not only was it ok but the rattle at idle was gone too. Got purely lucky on that one. I must have Messed up but that doesn't happen often, must be oltimers syndrome huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad it didn't happen on the parkway at speeds Jack.

Good that you got the problem solved with a minimum of fuss.

Back