free website stats program cam advice | Harley Davidson Forums

cam advice

ooheritage

hello everyone, well I was given the job as roadguard this weekend and would like the advice of the great people of this site. I was going to do a full upgrade from a 88ci to a 95, but just don't have the money. So I guess I'm looking for just a cam upgrade, so I can get up and go at a moments notice. What do you need to know from me to help. I suppose the andrews 26cams would be good, but I don't know what all I need,( cams only, or some gaskets to?) I'm on a shoestring budget here. thanks

OK, that is great to know Hobbit, and thanks for replying so quickly, but Is that a package deal or what? if I wanted to google that, how would I word it for best results

That 203 selection sounds a bit off, it's more of a low to mid cam and at the "peak of 5500", it's out of steam. The 204 is a higher performer than the 203 as far as a higher RPM range.

If you do want to go with the Andrews Products cams, check this out:

TWIN 88

As a note, if you are doing this job, I STRONGLY suggest changing out the cam chain tensioners both outside and inside (of the plate). Also, I would STRONGLY recommend replacing the inboard INA cam shaft support bearings with the Torrington ones.

You will need a new cam cover gasket and the o-rings for the oil pump. It would help to have the tapered aligning screws to center the oil pump. And finally, use Blue locktite on the fasteners for the pump and plate if you are reusing the originals.

TQ

Just wondering here, would he not have to find a way to add more fuel along with the cams? Rejet if carbed, or TFI if fuel injected?

If you are on a tight budget I wouldn't do the cams until I could afford to do the whole job properly. If you are not having problems I would hold tight, maybe pull the cam cover and check the tensioners. If you do a part job now and another job later it is going to cost you a lot more for tuning and labour.
kemo.

TQ gives some very solid advice here; check those tensioners! When I checked mine on my '99 Ultra they were toast. The inner wasn't as bad as the outer but both were fried. The advice on the inner cam bearings is also well taken. I went with a roller chain conversion complete with the newer style cam plate and the high volume oil pump. In addition, I went with the Andrews 26N cams. They come on at 1800 and are done by 4000. A TFI was added along with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner. The bike already had a set of V&H on it. TQ did a great work up on this project complete with some great photo's. They helped me a lot. I am very satisfied with the end results. Good luck...

well thanks to everyone, that sounds really involved and way more than I would ever do myself, I guess I will just try a v charger air cleaner for now and see what that does for me.

I have V & H straight pipes, but can't seem to find a large enough selection of air cleaner kits with detailed info. so I know that when I get it the thing will bolt up right.

Back