free website stats program Buying XL 1200 C | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying XL 1200 C

HrlyRdr20

I have been looking at a few different 1200's in various places. From dealerships to private sellers.

As this will be my first American bike, are there any particular things i should look for when purchasing a used motorcycle?

I understand a used motorcycle has been ridden, but i'd like to be able to decipher those that have been 'ridden' and those that have had the hell ridden out of them.

thanks in advanced to any help you can render.

You could do a compression test if the owner would let you and I would take a look at the rear tire for wear as compared to the miles on the bike. A typical tire will get about 10k out of it before needing replacement. Ask for any service records, If the service was done at a dealer, they would have the records on file. Ask what services were done like the 1000/5000 mile services and who did them as well as receipts for parts used if they were done by the owner. Check the oils and see what condition they are in, it should generally give you an indication how it was maintained. If you find a used bike that the clutch needs adjustment and the oil is black it generally means that it wasn't cared for very well. Usually the overall condition of a bike will lead to the general condition of the insides being taken care of it it presents itself well.

Engine Compression How To Check It - Harley Davidson Community

Here's some more things to look for.

Buying A Used Bike (What to look for) - Harley Davidson Community

Also this may come in handy aside from KBB or NADA for used prices.

Prices On 1995-2007 Biikes - Harley Davidson Community

New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews and Car Buying at NADA Guides

New Car Prices and Used Car Blue Book Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site << bottom of page.

Welcome aboard!

Thank you Glider.

I will look into those links.

Are there any particular flaws or defects that are/were prominent with the late model XL 1200's?

I will second the recommendation for Glider's links. I had printed them out, read and reread them several times, and was ready to put them to use when I changed my mind and bought a new Street Glide.

A big thanks to the both of you.

I am currently looking at 2 1200's.

One 100th anniversary Ed. with 4400 miles and a 2006 XL Custom with 4200 miles.

The asking price is 6500 on the 03, and 8500 on the 06.

Both are in great shape, a few add on chrome pieces, V&H pipes...ect.

Any opinions?

Yes i have ridden both.

If im correct, HD started using the rubber in 04?

And for the short run i made, the 03 rode a bit better to me.

With the anniversary model being a bit more rigid that the 04 and later, what kind of difference could i expect on a long distance ride?

Thanks again to those that helped me...but i have once again changed my mind.

After careful consideration, i have decided to purchase a brand new, 0 miles, 1200C in White Gold Pearl.

I fell in love @ the dealership....

Now im just waiting on the bank papers and check.

Pics will DEF be up as soon as I have the chance to take them.

Also...

its too late really...but what are the average prices on this particular model in all of your locations?

After careful consideration, i have decided to purchase a brand new, 0 miles, 1200C in White Gold Pearl.
...but what are the average prices on this particular model in all of your locations?

In Canada the list for that model is $10,568. Plus freight, pdi and tax would bring it to $13,000 ish.

One of my bikes is a 2006 XL1200C. If you're taller than 5'8 you'll want to add forward controls to give you a little leg stretch.
IMG_3033.jpg

Back