free website stats program Buying a new/used bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying a new/used bike

I am looking to buy a different bike. I have found a 2006 Street Glide for the right price and will go and check it out. The bike has 16,000 miles on it. What should I be looking at and do you have any other advice?

Double check all the numbers on the bike and the paperwork to make sure what you're buying. I would look for an 07 or newer with the 96 engine. Good luck.

I would ask what oils/brands (correct filter) were used and how often they were changed. Also if the bike has the factory tune/map and if a fueler was added. If SERT was used, ask for the VCI.

I would look for an 07 or newer with the 96 engine. Good luck.[/QUOTE said:
+1 on the 96" motor

Make sure you don't pay a cent over NADA price; however, if you really like the bike, go for it. Shop around, be patient, and buy the bike you like. good luck.

The oil question is important, like "Hoople" up top says -- you want to know if synthetic oil has been used or not.

I'd look it over for any signs of being dropped.

I would ask what oils/brands (correct filter) were used and how often they were changed. Also if the bike has the factory tune/map and if a fueler was added. If SERT was used, ask for the VCI.

Good call checking out this site PRIOR to buying a bike. I found this site AFTER buying my last bike from a private party. 10k service WAS NOT DONE, fluids were still original. Live and learn my friend. Most of these guys know a ton!

I am looking to buy a different bike. I have found a 2006 Street Glide for the right price and will go and check it out. The bike has 16,000 miles on it. What should I be looking at and do you have any other advice?

First step, is checking the price of the bike against Kelly Blue book, and NADA price guidelines.

What "sounds like a good deal" may not be.

"custom" items, unless they REALLY float your boat, do not add to the value. If the seller tries to sway you with a list of add-ons, and how much is "invested" in the bike. My reply has always been "chrome don't get you home" say it with a smile, and a friendly manner... and you won't anger the seller.

IMO the 96 inch engine, and 6 speed tranny, has made the 88/5sp "outdated" and should help lower the resale value. I think that is totally incorrect, but I'll play hardball when buying.

good luck, and post pictures if you get a deal you want.

One bit of advice I keep telling myself... after the purchase... STOP looking... because sure thing, you'll find a better deal next week

One bit of advice I keep telling myself... after the purchase... STOP looking... because sure thing, you'll find a better deal next week

How true - this has happened to me way too often!:small3d023:

IMO, this was the 1st yeat for SG's so, as with automotive industry, alot of "lessons learned" are migrated into future years (i.e. 96" eng, 6-spd tranny, wider rear, etc.). Unless you feel it's an "awesome" deal (per cost & condition), might be best to continue w/your search. Spring's around the corner & I'm sure there's no shortage of bike's coming on the sale market.

Go w/your gut, don't let the seller pressure your decision & good luck! Let us know the outcome.

Back