free website stats program Buying a new battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying a new battery

mvd00024

Give me input on buying an Original battery or is it ok to put another brand.Will it be as good or is that a no.no......

I know there are other batteries out there just as good, but I have and will continue to spend the few extra dollars with Harley to make sure I get the one that is right for my bike.

You can put anything from a high dollar after market to a walmart special in it.
On most days of the week any one of them will start your bike so well you would never know the difference and for most riders thats all they need.
HD OME batteries have served me well for a long time fair price when purchased right,
5-6 years in the cold country and I replace them. They still hold charge and start the bike but by then batteries are fading some.
There are a few gimmick high end one out there there that make big claims but have never prove much to me. No battery last for ever, longer battery sits around the shorter it life.

This old battery is 5 Yrs. old about now,I thought that was very good...Thanks, for the info......

Tried a couple of aftermarket ones once. Still had issues till I went back to HD org. Spun the engine much better.

Beleive it or not but I got 9 years out of a HD AGM battery using a battery tender when bike is in the garage.
So I just baught another HD AGM battery.

Just replaced the battery in my '07 SuperGlide in August.It was the original battery and it only lasted 18 months! What's up with that? BTW, I replaced it with another HD battery.

I just replaced the battery on my 03 RG; it was the original. Should have done it earlier...I went off with the switch on last week, and after being gone less than an hour, the bike wouldn't start. Good thing I had AAA motorcycle service.
Paid $135 +tax for a new HD battery at the dealers.

On my old bike, I used to get the Sears cheapies. They'd last a year to 18 mo., but often when they went bad, they'd short out, so you couldn't even jump them to get started. Once again, you get what you pay for.

General question to any/every one here. when you must set your bike up for -- oh let's say 2-3 weeks, would you recommend going out and starting it up and letting it idle for about 10 mins or so every now and then? Is this a good practice or not?

Thanks for your input.

Bill

Back