free website stats program Buyer beware | Harley Davidson Forums

Buyer beware

jmclavy

I've been a Harley owner since 1969 when I bought my first Panhead. I've had Pans, Shovels, Ironheads and most recently recently, my pride and joy, my '03.

At the time I bought the '03, I purchased the Extended Service Plan, 7 years, I couldn't believe it. Repairs covered for 7 years. At least so I thought.

Over the years, I had work done on the bike, always by the book, and under the understanding and the assurance from my dealer that the warranty would not be impacted in anyway.

Had work done over the years under the warranty, never a problem, until now. In August, the dealer here in Las Vegas fixed the inner cam bearing, under warranty. This April, the bearing that was replaced, came to pieces and took out the bottom of my motor. Now that it's going to cost $5000 to fix, all of a sudden, the warranty is void because I had motor work done on it. Never mind I did just what Harley had written in their catalog and exactly what my dealer said I needed to do.

Now I'm stuck with a Harley basket case and an '86 Yamaha that still runs, at least I have something that's reliable.:(

Too bad, I'm afraid Harley is losing its grip when a 24 year old Yamaha is more dependable that a 7 year old Harley, especially since the Harley got routine maintenance and the Yamaha didn't.

Needless to say I'm unhappy. Obviously Harley doesn't care about customer loyalty or service.:bigsmiley18:

The real sad thing is, I was planning to sell the bike this Spring and buy a new one. That's not going to happen now. I'll buy a Victory or a metric but it won't be a Harley.:bigsmiley30:

Their loss.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Welcome to the forum.

Nice of you to share them here as YOUR FIRST POST.:newsmile077:

Maybe 24 years ago Yamaha made a wonderful bike but I can't say the same thing about a Brand New Yamaha I purchased in 2008. Yamaha has lost their grip. Five months of dealing with 1 warranty claim and a bike I could not ride. The name Jill Hobbs still rings in my head. The manager of the Customer SATISFACTION department in California that was of NO help. Hang on to that 24 year old bike because in my opinion they don't make them like that use to, so beware. Finally traded it in on a Great bike that I ride today.

And Welcome to the BEST forum on the net.

Probably I am missing something here. You are disgusted with Harley but you registered on a Harley website to ................ what? Let us know the extended warranty is a waste of money? You don't like Harleys any more because it grenaded?

Well, I am hoping you decide to get it repaired and keep on keeping on. Maybe you have a lot of miles on your ride and sinking 5K into it would actually be a good investment, or get an S&S and bolt it in and raise the value up to where it would be worthwhile. A bike that isn't runable isn't worth a whole lot.

I agree with you on extended warranties. Salesmen give each other high fives when they can tack that onto the price. It is the cream of the deal. High profit stuff like radios and other accessories as part of the contract. I myself do not buy extended warranties on anything, bikes, TVs, refrigerators, etc. Stuff lasts long enough in general. Of course there is a chance of a lemon, but I am guessing the percentages are fairly low or the product would be labeled as junk from the git go.

So JMClavy, I would like to see you get your scoot up and running. If a dealer gave you a figure as an estimate for 5K, betcha an independant will beat that and you might save $1500 or more.

jmclavy; have you elevated this situation to your dealership's service mgr., or called HD directly to discuss. If your bike's still under the 7-yr plan & the failure hasn't been heightened to HD management - go back & get them involved. I believe you can fight this issue & win...especially if you followed the service & have records.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum. Also, might want to go light w/the HD bashing on your 1st post.

Over the years, I had work done on the bike, always by the book, and under the understanding and the assurance from my dealer that the warranty would not be impacted in anyway.

Had work done over the years under the warranty, never a problem, until now. In August, the dealer here in Las Vegas fixed the inner cam bearing, under warranty. This April, the bearing that was replaced, came to pieces and took out the bottom of my motor. Now that it's going to cost $5000 to fix, all of a sudden, the warranty is void because I had motor work done on it. Never mind I did just what Harley had written in their catalog and exactly what my dealer said I needed to do.

So - I'm not understanding something here ---- you have the ext. wrnty , the work was done at a HD dealer and you say they are not covering the repairs? Dude call MoCo and not some customer service person either.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your ride. That's a pain. I had the extended warentee [which was transfered from previous owner]. I kept all paperwork and did things by the book. I was worried that MoCo would find some reason not to give me a refund but I was worried about nothing. It's been a few years but I think I got about 2k back. Good luck in whatever you decide.

It sounds like the dealer is trying to get out from under the responsibility/liability of the work they did.
In stead of posting on the forum, you should be contacting the owner of the dealership and letting them know that you used the HD parts and don't like the way this is being handled. If necessary after doing that and you get no results let it be known that you intend to do what ever is necessary to get favorable results including contacting the MOCO and if necessary the attorney general of your area.

Please keep us apprised of your actions and the results.

If what you say is true, then it is really easy to see why you are disgusted and frustrated.

I think RichardS hit the nail on the head.

You would think that buying an extended warranty and have all work done by the dealer would at least buy having a little red flag next to your name that tells a dealer, "This person spent a lot of money here and is loyal: if you are going to take care of anyone, this is the the person!"

Sadly that is really not the case anywhere. I used to justify extended warranty as mainly a way of putting a price on my time. As in, I won't have to spend days, weeks, months, fighting for what is fair with a manufacturer. I was wrong. That is when I started doing things myself.

Welcome to the board! I think you will see that a large number of people come her to learn to do things (up to their skill levels) themselves and save the money for things out of their reach or expertise. Occasionally this board guides and supports many of us in tackling things we would have never attempted alone. Again, I don't know your skill level, but I am a rookie and the stuff I learn here is a great way to "know" your ride for safety and longevity. I remember a post from Chopper where he called the monthy check of the bike "part of the bonding process."

It stinks that it appears you are going to have to begin the seige on the dealer. From posts here, sometimes it goes quick, sometimes not. I hope you pick up the fight and it goes quick. If it is made by a human, it will break.

Back