free website stats program Butterfly Sticking | Harley Davidson Forums

Butterfly Sticking

Fourdogs

A few months back I ask the proper method of lubricating cables. Was explaining that my acceleration cable ( Grip ) would stick...Then I purchased the "Fix Your Hog " cd's and it covered it...and I must admit its so easy when your looking at it. Ok anyway....that turns out NOT the problem. After inspection it seems after the Bike sets a few day and there is a temp change the "Butterfly" in the throttle body seems to be sticking to the housing...so my question is this...can I file the butter fly down a little..or can someone tell me a good fix w/o out going to my service dept. Getting ready to attend the 105th then head to Canada ...and down to Niagara Falls..then through New York and PA etc...Hers a pic I hope ..of what I'm trying to ask.

Attachments

• butterfly sticking.JPG
    butterfly sticking.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 41
Sometimes, varnish build up will do that, but try to loosen the two screws on the butterfly and see if you can reposition it just a hair to eliminate the problem. Shouldn't be necessary to file it down.

Can't make out in the pic in the lower right of the flange if the seal for the set screw has been removed. It shouldn't be messed with but it's a possibility that this could be used to raise the throttle stop just a hair so it will not stick. Too much and it will change the TPS setting.

Man-o-Man...Dr. Doolittle tried helping me send the pic...but I'm such a idiot when it comes to sending pics...When I hit upload tells me the kb is too large...I shrunk the pic...quess too much. I did the 800 by 600...but it say thats still too big. I would love to know what your saying about the set screw...but thanks am going to try and loosen screw and reset the butterfly..Thank you for the quick reply

Sometimes, varnish build up will do that, but try to loosen the two screws on the butterfly and see if you can reposition it just a hair to eliminate the problem. Shouldn't be necessary to file it down.

Can't make out in the pic in the lower right of the flange if the seal for the set screw has been removed. It shouldn't be messed with but it's a possibility that this could be used to raise the throttle stop just a hair so it will not stick. Too much and it will change the TPS setting.

Duh!..I reread what you wrote....lol I understand about the set screw....Thanks ..BTW I removed the butterfly and polished it as well a polishing the walls of the Throttle body...we'll see what happens...Thanks all of ya..and one of these days I'll learn to post a pic you can actually see..lol

Man-o-Man...Dr. Doolittle tried helping me send the pic...but I'm such a idiot when it comes to sending pics...When I hit upload tells me the kb is too large...I shrunk the pic...quess too much. I did the 800 by 600...but it say thats still too big. I would love to know what your saying about the set screw...but thanks am going to try and loosen screw and reset the butterfly..Thank you for the quick reply

That was your first mistake - I'm barely qualified to turn my computer on and off. Everything else my 17 year old daughter takes care of just like she has since she was about 5 years old! :p

That was your first mistake - I'm barely qualified to turn my computer on and off. Everything else my 17 year old daughter takes care of just like she has since she was about 5 years old! :p

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D...well at least I did post the pic even though I was kinda small....naw not kinda was really small huh????...lol:newsmile058:

Taking the butterfly screws out is a bad idea.Clean the throttle body with some carb cleaner on a rag and re-adjust the cables correctly.It should not close that far.

if you use a carb cleaner you will have to go back and lube the moving parts...seems the carb cleaner desolves that also...which may have happen if you or someone else used carb cleaner in the first place...:newsmile099:

Back