free website stats program Burnt Stator | Harley Davidson Forums

Burnt Stator

dhorne

Recently I hit a bump and skinned the wires running to the VR and resulted in a burnt stator , make a long storey short I changed them both and it still doesn't charge , my question is .... Is there a fuse or anything that is to be checked or to stop it from charging , I have also learned from this great site to reroute the wires , the bike is a 2001 Ultra Classic , I have also down all the tests in the diaganostic center here and everything shows speck.......
would be grateful for any suggestions
thank you

if you just replaced the vr you would have ran the wire from the vr to the breaker and there are no fuses in it, did you check the new stator for ac output and then check the battery for voltage while running? it's pretty much a stright shot from your vr to your battery. while your in there you might want to check your breaker and make sure it's been upgraded from a 40 amp to a 50 amp also.

Thanks chopper , I did all the checks and still nothing at the battery , maybe it burnt the breaker as well , I am sure it wasnt upgraded , I am out of the country right now and I cannot check but I remember where i replaced both of the VR wires , is this where the breaker will be?
thanks in advance

the breaker is under the seat in front of the battery on the frame, if the bike will turns over and runs the breaker is not burn out, but should still be replaced with a 50 amp. the two wires running back to the battery, the black shrink tube wire is the ground and bolts to the frame and the yellow shrink tube wire bolts to the silver post of the breaker. I would double check all the connections, follow the power from the stator back to the battery, find where it stops and repair as needed. could also be a faulty vr out of box? you should also the battery and make sure it will take a charge. there is also a lot of tips in the self help section on this site you might want to look at. good luck

Thanks again Chopper , that all makes perfect sense , I will try another VR much appreciated

Back