free website stats program burnt rotors | Harley Davidson Forums

burnt rotors

mikedown1

i have a 2007 roadking custom and last week i took it to a nonharley shop to have new chrome front lower forks and polished rotors put on the bike, all harly oem stuff!! it looked great until i rode it home and noticed one of the rotors was burnt and discolored, i had to go the next day to pickup my old parts and both the owner and the mechanic asked just how happy i was, i told them not, so he wanted me to bring it back to fix the problem, i had it back there in an hour and he took it apart and put it back together and said try it.. he really didn't do anything. i tried it and still problems, so i remembered i9 had the service manual in my garage and i took a look and found that the spacers should be different lengths, i called and told him that and he kinda sounded like he didn't know that, but later in the story was trying to hide that. anyways i went back a 3rd day and he wasn't really to happy to see me and asked what he can do to make me happy, i told him i am a machinist for 40 years and would like him to pull the spacers and let me measure them and compare to the factory ones he took out. the same!!!! i told him which spacer went where and i hurt his feelings by telling him that.. still have a problem not as bad, but i have read the proceedure over and over again in the service manual and he does not follow it as far as putting the front end together, he beats the axle in and tightens up the bolts and axle nut, i read that the way is to place a 7/16 drill bit in the hole on the right side of axle, he didn't do that i see that it is in to deep i mean that the hole, is in to deep not 7/16. i have dreamed about this and have decided that this is important for proper alignment, am i right? i hope the length of this doesn't scare the smart people awy from helping me.. thanks mike

Back