free website stats program burnt exhaust | Harley Davidson Forums

burnt exhaust

While cleaning the 2010 FLHTCUTG I noticed on the bottom of the last 90 degree bend on the front jug exhaust crome heat shield there was an exhaust burn....brown in color about the size of a .50 cent piece.Anyone else having any of these issues? Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.

is your bike 100 % stock? are you talking about the pipe or the Heat shield?

If its stock the motor is very very LEAN M! can you say EPA ?

if you saw how hot the pipes get with out the heat shields on you will understand

It is the heat shield that has the burnt spot on it.I put a K&N on and 'Wild Pig' slip-on's, on.My first thought was an exhaust leak .The spot is right over the 2-into-1 exhaust coupling.I know the engine runs hot but the single burnt spot doesn't make since to me.

It is the heat shield that has the burnt spot on it.I put a K&N on and 'Wild Pig' slip-on's, on.My first thought was an exhaust leak .The spot is right over the 2-into-1 exhaust coupling.I know the engine runs hot but the single burnt spot doesn't make since to me.

You're running one of those wonderful <sarcasm> catalytic headpipes. No burned leg yet? It would be well-advised to get rid of it and get the stainless Fuelmoto headpipe. It will run MUCH cooler. I hope you are also running some kind of fuel management.

Thank you for your reply.I am NOT running any 'fuel management' other than stock.The stock closed loop fuel management map will handle the a/c-slipons issues with no problems.However,I have not read about the stainless 'fuel moto head pipes' ability for cooling purposes.Are there any warranty issues that you know of using the different headpipe?

I am NOT running any 'fuel management' other than stock.The stock closed loop fuel management map will handle the a/c-slipons issues with no problems.

VERY marginal there and LEAN too. It will handle it but it is on the very lean edge of the spectrum meaning lean and hot. A tuner of sorts would not only cool things down a bit but it would run better too.

What about warranty issues with the added header? Also,is there any other manufactures of the '2 into1 into 2' header for the 103"?There is a world of fuel managers out there.The TFI sounds like the bill to me.Any input ? Thanks

What about warranty issues with the added header? Also,is there any other manufactures of the '2 into1 into 2' header for the 103"?There is a world of fuel managers out there.The TFI sounds like the bill to me.Any input ? Thanks

You're on the right track with the TFI unless you want to get into maps and dyno runs.

Warranty issues would depend on your dealer. There shouldn't be any unless they want to make one for you. You are removing the cat so you would open a door for problems (EPA) but I would do it too.:D

On the CVOharley.com one viewer in particular said his mechanic advised 'boring' out the CATS ,keeping the stock header,and disregarding the Fuelmoto installation.Whats a good price to pay for the TFI and a good dealer to buy it from?

Why would you bore out the cats, when just a simple fueler will do the deed, and you can always remove it when registering/recertification of your bike if EPA/Local & State laws mandate this. You get the best of both worlds with TFI...user tunability and easy removal so no warranty issues if you bring back to the dealer. Holing your cats is not reversible!

Back