free website stats program Building a bike - few questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Building a bike - few questions

Piotra

Hello
I’m Piotr from Poland and I'm here first time. I’m building a bike. It will be something like a mix of two styles bobber and drag, so something like a motorcycle low rider. I’m building it on softail Evo frame because roads in Poland are not so good. Here you can see how the project looks like.
I’m writing here because I have few questions about softail harleys. So:

a) can you advise me what kind a ignition should I buy. I have a RevTech 100 inches engine with two spark plugs for each cylinder (not EFI of course). Now I have two plugs for each head but I’m not sure, maybe I will change two plugs for compression release valves. So I would prefer ignition that will work on two or four spark plugs. Should I buy single or double fire ignition, and what kind of coil or coils. I think the best for me would be a kit (ignition module, coils, wires). And what brand (Crane, Accel, Ulitima?). And the most important is that it can not be too expensive. So how to have a good ignition but for low budget.

b) I would like to make a wiring myself. But how to do it. I have some knowledge about electricity and one time I did a wiring for my Harley Ironhead. But problems are with breakers etc. And I would like to make a wiring very similar to original softail wiring with the same connectors and housings. Maybe do you have a link to any webpage like: “how to make a harley wiring”.
Or, if you have any old, not necessary harley softail evo wiring I would willingly buy it from you. At the bottom is my e-mail.

c) I need a original right side forward control (I bought left and I do not have right). So, I need a bracket, pedal lever for softail evo model with footpegs not floorboards. The shifter side I have from about 1986 so I need brake side that will fit. I prefer bracket to which I can mount a Kelsey master cylinder but if you have any original Evo forward control set with cylinder and fluid reservoir I would be also glad to buy it. So if you have this kind forward control (it can be in very bed contition and need repair because I will put new chrome and I will powder coat this) write down. I can pay for it and shipping via western Union or I can make a bank transfer and than you can ship it to me.

d) I have also a question about motor mount bolts. I need these four bolts for mounting engine to frame. These bolts are very expensive, about 50$, so I want to buy this kind bolts in hardware store but I’m not sure what size it should be. I can be a bolts 12.9 grade. In Poland we have standard mild steel bolts 5.8, higher grade 8.8 and highest grade 12.9. I’m not sure how is it equal to SAE markings but I think that these 12.9 should be enough hard. But I do not know the sizes. I think that I can use metric bolts not american but I need exact sizes of original bolts. Can somebody measure original bolts for me and write the sizes? I need the size and length of bolts.

e) I’m looking for any small diameter tach and speedo. I would prefer something small and in one gauge. I found pretty nice Dakota Digital instrument but it quite expensive. Do you know any other less expensive brands that have this kind instruments. It have to be a electronic because I do not have a speedo drives on front wheel. The front springer and wheel needed a lot of modifications. As you can see the springer front end is from softail with 19 inches wheel and I put rear wheel with Avon tire and it wasn’t so easy to do it.

OK, so that’s all for the beginning. I have a lot of more questions but maybe later. If you have any questions about my project just write down. Sorry for my English but I’m Polish.

Piotr, POLAND

I would check ebay for that year. they have new and used parts pretty cheap. They also have complete wire harnesses. You can also look on the download section for manuals. In them they have schematics I beleive. But not for the four spark plug thing Im not up on that.

I'm looking on e-bay but mostly there are forward controls for 00 and up models, but I looking here also. I found download page but I have a problem with downloading (I have too less posts). So I think I can not download now.

Thanks, Piotr

I hope you can also help me with other questions. I tried to get an answer on polish forums, but there are not so many people that are building a bikes. So now I ask you.

There are pictures of my project. The engine is 100inches RevTech.

Piotr

Attachments

• bob2.jpg
    bob2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 179
  • bob1.jpg
    bob1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 35
looks nice so far.

you will have 2 brake discs up front, or just one ?

be interesting to have both discs on same side of the bike :)

No, I have just one brake disc rotor on front. I will use 9/16 front master cylinder. The caliper is standard softail springer front caliper but as front wheel I'm using a rear wheel. So, there were some modifications. There are some new spacers on front axle and also stud conecting caliper to springer front end is shortened about 5mm (it's about 0,2 inch) and some more, but now it looks that it will work. So, now, both brake rotors are on the same right side.

As you can see I modified also calipers. There were specially for this puropose produced 3D stickers with "76" logo.

Piotr

Welcome to the Forum, and best of luck with your project.

I have an older Spyke electronic ignition on my carb bike. It is a small EVO with only one plug per cylinder, and no release. The Spykes can be configured for two plugs. Just need more coils. I would suggest checking the manufacturer's procedure for two plugs/cylinder applications. If you go with one plug and a comp release, then I suggest a single fire, multi-spark system like the Spyke. See here for more details:

Spyke, Inc. Acculight Ignition System

TQ

Back