free website stats program Bucking in first gear | Harley Davidson Forums

Bucking in first gear

bwalsh22

I had a similar problem with my Dyna, actually broke down on me twice. I got it to Harley the 2nd time and turned out to be the ECM, which was all covered under warranty. Any Check Engine light coming? I had that as well.

I doubt it's the transmission, it's probably either fuel or ignition. Did you recently get fuel before this problem started?

Not sure if this is the correct forum because I don't know if this is a transmission, electrical, or other issue. I have a 2007 Heritage Softail with PC III, K&N, Rush 2.0's and 5125 miles. Bike ran perfect since the upgrade in March. Last night after about an hour and a half of riding, the bike started bucking in first gear when pulling out from red lights. I accelerate for about 15 or 20 feet, lose forward momentum, then it kicks in again and lurches forward like it either slips out of gear and back in or the fuel got pinched off then flows again. Also, when keeping the throttle steady in second or third gear, I feel little surges like I'm gently rocking the throttle but I'm not. Just bearly made it home when it was bucking in first gear up my steep driveway, then conked out. It starts right back up but I don't want to take it out in my hilly neighborhood for fear I'll never get it back home. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas what the issue could be?

Unplug the PCIII and try it again...if the problem goes away it's in the PCIII if not it very well could be the ECM.

I had a scooter did this when the mixture wasn't quite right.
Yeah a 50cc scooter with a mikuni carb. It's called "bogging".

I would say it's probably a little rich. Especially at lower rpm's.
Get your PCM checked.
Worth replacing your fuel filter as well.

It turned out to be a bad PCIII. The dealer put it on the dyno and let it run until it started bucking and lurching after 40 miles. They swapped out the PCIII for a new one, and let it run for 100 miles and no more problem. I just took it out for 2 hours and it ran perfectly and there was no more popping on decel which was happening a lot lately. It even starts quicker. When I called Dynojet the other day and asked if they were getting calls about this problem, they said no. If you've been heaing about bad PCIII's, they'er either lying or in a state of denial.

They have an issue with compatability.They also refuse to admit there's a problem when the building is on fire.

Back