free website stats program Broken Tourpak Latch | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Tourpak Latch

Porter

Noticed yesterday that the rear most latch on my tourpak was broken. Cracked on one side.

Went to a dealer and they had only one in stock: $10
I don't know if I got a mis-manufactured model or this is how they come, but the holes for attaching the screws were not threaded. Luckily I had a 6-32 thread tap at home or I would have been really frustrated.

I will now open every package in the store and inspect every part before purchase.

Noticed yesterday that the rear most latch on my tourpak was broken. Cracked on one side.

Went to a dealer and they had only one in stock: $10
I don't know if I got a mis-manufactured model or this is how they come, but the holes for attaching the screws were not threaded. Luckily I had a 6-32 thread tap at home or I would have been really frustrated.

I will now open every package in the store and inspect every part before purchase.

That is the way they come (untapped). The screws are self-tapping in the soft metal. These are very cheap clasps. I have gone through about half a dozen on my '03 UC. If the lid accidently drops on the clasp when closed, POOF! New one needed.

TQ

What a terrible design.
The screws (from the broken latch) were standard. Typically I have seen screws that have a little notch at the tip to help cut the threads. Trying to do this with a plain screw and a T-15 torx bit (I dislike torx incredibly), you are just asking for stripping the head, the threads or both. Then you have to back it out for lok-tite...

I appreciate the replies. Nice to know this was done on purpose..:p

I've replaced two latches on my '07.
Yes, the screws are self-threading into a soft metal.

If you only paid $10, you were lucky.
I paid almost $17 each at two different dealerships.

Lose the latch and you are in danger of losing the lid.

I carry an extra latch, just in case.

The latches are right off of those aluminum instrument/camera cases. They were never meant for motorcyle use. One way to make them last longer is to lock your tour pack. Less strain on the latches.

Owner of local HD shop told me he used to stick the tip of a glove or something out the lid between the latches while closed , i tried this, after having both break in 2 days ,after replacing and it seems to help. read elsewhere that this happens while riding solo,the wind gets under her backrest and lifts the tourpac ,dont understand really how locking helps ...the lid still lifts about 3/8 " ,but i do it anyway????:D:D:D

Gid day

I have an 03 Ultra and I've gone through too many of these latches to remeber. The metal used is not up to motorcycle standard and her in Oz they cost aobut $25 to $30 depending on the value of the U.S. $ at the time. I complain about their quality to the dealer every time I have to buy one but nothing has been done about them.

Cheers
Kym
Sydney -AUSTRALIA:(

Back