free website stats program Broken Stator Rotor Magnets ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Stator Rotor Magnets ?

NoiseBoy

93 FXRS-SP - 28,000 miles on the bike. Bike serviced every 3k miles. Stator, regulator, battery recently replaced when shop installed new CCE spherical bearing kit. Get then bike home, ride hard for a couple of days, bike still not holding a charge.

I don't wrench on engines much, but I know how to use a meter, started to check charging system, static check shows 12.4, little low, bleed back test is good, verified low ohm resistance, checked stator windings for any dead shorts. ground issues, continuity is good, switched to AC , started bike, output is low. Back to the shop. They get the outer primary off, tell me stator and rotor need to be replaced because magnets inside the rotor broke loose damaging the stator .... my question is this; if the magnets broke loose, isn't that something I would notice while riding, the bigger question is how would anyone be able to determine what is really going without removing the inner primary.

The rotor and stator are accessible when the outer primary is off. Since they were recently in there, they may have damaged the rotor by dropping, etc.

Thanks for the input. I should have known that, appreciated. When the magnets break free is that something we can hear or notice when the bike is running ?

Maybe, maybe not. Centrifugal force keeps the magnets held away from the stator, but if one misaligns during startup/shutoff, then you would hear it.

Again thanks. How about if I put this another way, bike was tipped over, when stationary, what is the likelihood of this incident causing rotor magnets to break loose. ( shops assessment ) I think a more probable explanation would involve air tools and compensator nut.

I once laid the bike over at 45 mph, ( cut off by Prius ) same side as primary, tank didn't fare so well but stator and rotor were undamaged.

My thoughts exactly, second time they were in there, first time was during spherical bearing install. Discovered stator burnt up, drive belt had a pebble lodged inside it, after buttoning up inner primary. I was not comfortable with replacing the cleve block myself, bought the CCE kit and let the shop do the work.
Lesson learned, if you want it done right, get a service manual and dig in. Appreciate the help, thanks man.

Last edited:
Back