free website stats program broken drive belt | Harley Davidson Forums

broken drive belt

Hi All
Just snapped the belt on my 97 Dyna Lowrider,EVO, looking to do the belt replacement myself, any tips would be greatly appreciated

I don't know how mechanical you are but the primary outer and inner has to come off plus many other parts to get the belt on.

If you are even thinking of doing it, the manual is a must.

It can be done by the home mechanic but first buy and read the service manual for your bike to ensure that you have the correct tools and skills to complete the task
as its not really a simple job allow for 2 days and some help may be required if it is the first time you have tackled such a task
as the inner and outer primary have to be removed you may find that removal of the clutch nut and compensator nut a wee bit difficult as they are locked on with red loctite and 13 years of being there so some heat may be required to get these 2 to move in the first instance
however if you are persistant they will come off just read the manual thoroughly

Brian

It's a pretty big deal and some special tools,impact wrench,good jack,etc. are needed,but if you don't do it you will never know how. Get a good manual and dig in.

It sounds like you have interest in doing the job yourself. If you have the skills to go with your interest, and some patients too, go for it. The best way to get intimate with your bike is doing all the work on it yourself. Just take your time and do it right!
:s

It sounds like you have interest in doing the job yourself. If you have the skills to go with your interest, and some patients too, go for it. The best way to get intimate with your bike is doing all the work on it yourself. Just take your time and do it right!
:s

Don't forget the TOOLS!!! Torque wrench for inch and foot lbs.

Patience :small3d012:

signed....BUBBIE

I did mine for the first time and its not bad as long as you have a manual. the clutch nut is reverse thread and you have to get the starter bolts from the right side of the bike (all reasond to have a manual). Make sure you use a Harley-Davidson belt too all others are junk.

Back