free website stats program Broken Cylinder head exhaust stud | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Cylinder head exhaust stud

dcfatboy

Well, I snapped off part of the right front cylinder head exhaust stud and it started backing out when removing my front head pipe:

IMG00095-20100807-1622.jpg

I have sprayed the stud with PB Blaster and will double nut it and back it out.

A couple of questions:
  • If it will not come out, can I leave it in and use it (assuming there is enough stud left)?
  • When installing a new bolt, do I put anything on the part that goes into the cylinder head?
  • After researching repairing studs, it seems the threads should be lubricated with oil before torquing the nuts. Does anyone do this?

If you can get the stud out I would replace it and use antisieze on the threads going into the head no oil on the nut torque it dry:s

Thanks Jack. I safely removed the stud using the 5/16" socket from this set and PB Blaster.

This is the stud next to the new stud I will insert with a double nut.

IMG00099-20100811-2042.jpg

Any suggestions for keeping the stud straight doing install? Should I use the flange to help?

Thanks

Thanks Jack. I safely removed the stud using the 5/16" socket from this set and PB Blaster.

This is the stud next to the new stud I will insert with a double nut.

IMG00099-20100811-2042.jpg

Any suggestions for keeping the stud straight doing install? Should I use the flange to help?

Thanks

Antisieze double nut and bottom it out and torque new exhaust nuts 10 ft lbs, Jack

Thanks Jack. The install went fine and the exhaust is back on. I will ride tomorrow (I still have to put the outer and inner primary back on from what I thought was a transmission issue that may turn out to be just a loose belt issue.)

Just got back from a 1700 mi RT ride to North Conway, NH.

No issues with exhaust. (My transmission issue turned ot to be a loose belt.)

Just got back from a 1700 mi RT ride to North Conway, NH.

No issues with exhaust. (My transmission issue turned ot to be a loose belt.)

Good job You Guys !

It is Nice to read a thread with All Happy Endings and good advice give and take!!!

signed....BUBBIE

Good job You Guys !

It is Nice to read a thread with All Happy Endings and good advice give and take!!!

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie I couldnt have said it better, signed......Capital Jack:p

Back