free website stats program Brenham, Texas | Harley Davidson Forums

Brenham, Texas

Gas Gauge

My brother, who lives in Las Vegas, got us tickets to the Jimmy Buffet concert at the Cynthia Woods-Mitchell Pavilion in The Woodlands, Texas on Thursday night. He told me he wanted to get some riding in on Friday and to plan a day trip. He keeps a Kawasaki Concours in my garage for when he comes to town, he likes that style of riding and we are merciless teasing each other about our choices, however, each time we ride he looks harder and harder at my choice of a full dresser. He flew in Tuesday and spent time with Mom.

He came over early Thursday and I took him up to our Town Center and showed him around Sugar land. We headed up to The Woodlands around 3:45 and got there around 6:00, traffic is brutal that time of day. We don't normally go to the Cynthia Woods-Mitchell Pavillion because it just isn't worth making that trek through insane rush hour traffic, then 1 hour home afterwards @ 11:00, even though they have great guests. The venue is quite stunning with an amphitheatre style setting, with reserve seating for 5000 under huge canopies, the rest hillside. However the acoustics are terrible, and if you don't know the words to every song, you have no clue what the artist is saying.

So we are sitting there enjoying Jimmy's Land Shark beer, and a guy starts talking to us about what are we drinking, told him Land Shark, in fact we went to Key West last November when they had the official "introduction", he slaps some backstage passes on us and tells us to go enjoy all the free Land Shark beer, Margaritaville Rum, and food we want. When the concert started the backstage hospitality tent was behind the stage and we had good seats out front, so we went to our seats. The beautiful people were left to impress each other, we wanted to see Jimmy perform. Overall great night!

O.K., O.K., I get it this is a Harley Davidson site, and a riding forum section, so come on Gas Gauge, what about the ride??? Sorry I just had to capture the whole experience for posterities sake.

After getting home at midnight, my brother is excited and says we should get an early start (I know him better). He got up at 7:30, then started fooling around with his bike. He obsesses about the oil level (which is never more than an ounce low at best). I told him I thought it was fine, he says I'm going to add some, I told him your obsessed. He adds about 6-7 ounces (some I had left over), then announces, "darn, I think it was O.K. to begin with" (duh). We spent the next half hour trying to remove 3-4 ounces with a syringe for injecting turkeys (not sucessful). He is finally convince everything is O.K, and we take off for the gas station to fill-up.

When we get to the gas station he smells fresh oil, and looks down and there is oil on his left pants leg, the motor, the foot peg, etc. he sees he forgot to put the filler cap back in. We both laugh that should take care of the overfill concern. I go back to the house and get the filler cap.

DSCN2568.jpg

He cleaned up the bike, while I was retreiving the filler cap, we are gassed up and ready to ride, we are heading out through the country to Brenham, texas, home of the Blue Bell Ice Cream Factory (the best around these parts), it's 9:30 in the morning.

DSCN2569.jpg

We head out State Hwy 6 South for a couple miles, then turn West on Hwy 90, going through Sugar Land, Richmond, and Rosenberg, about 6 miles total. We take Hwy 36 North just past Rosenberg, we will stay on this all the way to Brenham, and pass some great towns through some nice hill country along the way. The sky is slightly overcast with temperatures starting out in the mid 70's, however living along the Gulf Coast, the humidity is 110%, you can't feel it when your riding though.

Passed this great country church in Wallis, Texas and just had to stop and take pictures. An 82 year old lady came out and I told her she had a beautiful church, she said it is pretty much unchanged in 130 year. Said she was born here, baptised here, got married here and would be buried here. She liked our bikes!

DSCN2575.jpg

DSCN2576.jpg

We continued through some great old country towns Sealy, Bellville, then into Brenham, about an 2 hours ride, then stopped in downtown Brenham for lunch at the Longhorn cafe. Absolutely wonderful food and atmosphere, definately worlds away from the big city.

DSCN2577.jpg

DSCN2582.jpg

After lunch it was time to head over to "That Little Creamery In Brenham"

DSCN2587.jpg

This was actually one of their first refrigerated delivery trucks that they restored.

DSCN2589.jpg

What a great tour, very interesting and a lot of fun, I've lived here for 42 years nad this was my first visit, I can't wait to bring my wife back for lunch and the tour. They said it takes the milk from 10,000 cows a day to meet their production, all from local cows. I thought I had mis-heard and asked the tour guide to repeat that. That is amazing!

It was about 2:30 and time to head back to Sugar Land. It was a very nice and relaxing ride. I love this 2009 Ultra! Gas about $12.00, Lunch about $15.00, Creamery Tour $5.00 (with samples at the end), time spent with my brother: "Priceless"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really enjoyed the tour. I get to Tex about 3-4 times a year and I'm already planning a trip to Blue Bell icecream.

Sounds like a great time. I'm pretty jealous, but I don't know if it is over the backstage passes & concert, or the ice cream. I love ice cream, and I love the people watching at the Buffett concerts.

My Buffett connection happened in KW, :D Hubby & I were riding around town, and I was on a 50cc Di Blasi fold up bike. As we passed JB at a traffic light, he's looking at my bike saying 'What is that thing' :newsmile100: LOL, if it wasn't JB, it was his twin.

The Di Blasi was small enough to keep on the sail boat when we had the boat in Marathon.

Goofy little bikes, but a lot of fun. Here's a link.

Di Blasi of America - FOLDING MOTORCYCLE MOTOR BIKE MINIBIKE MOTORBIKE MOPED COLLAPSABLE MOTORSCOOTER PORTABLE SCOOTER MINI-BIKES MINI BIKE PRIVATE PILOTS BOATS SAILING RECREATION TOURISTS ACCESSORIES TRAVEL AIRPLANES ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION VEHICLE :D

Joy cool bike, but how is it in the twisties?
Don, hmm, it did fine to scoot around the Keys....but I didn't really get to test it in the twisties since they really don't have twisties down there, but I can say if you have trouble in the sand, you can pick it up & carry it. :bigsmiley24::small3d026:

Back