free website stats program Breather Umbrella Valve | Harley Davidson Forums

Breather Umbrella Valve

mfaitak

Okay, had an oil pump problem. Tore the engine down, put in new pump. Started very well. Now looks like a build up of oil coming out of the air filter. I replaced both front and back breather assemblies but I'm not sure if I seated the umbrell valve all the way. Would this cause too much oil to build up on the top end and cause my problem?

M Faitak
Spotslyvania, VA
'06 Dyna Wide Glide

If they are hindering the return of the oil back to the engine, it would cause oil to blow out the breathers into the air filter from oil buildup in the rockers.

Yep! Re-did the breathers (I didn't have the umbrella valve seated all the way) and that fixed the major leak. Still didn't have two of the push rod covers seated all the way into the cylinder head (THIS IS MY FIRST TIME OKAY SO BE GENTLE!) so that fixed the minor leaks. All seems to be good now. Took it for a short ride and it really shifts smoother with the Amsoil gear lube in the tranny.

Just want to add: A guy at the parts counter at a local dealership said to remove the "sponge" on the breathers. He said the engine doesn't need them and it will help the engine breath a whole lot easier(?).

Back